The Business and Problem-Solving Skills Needed for Success in Your Engineering Career!
The Structural Engineer's Professional Training Manual offers a solid foundation in the real-world business and problem-solving skills needed in the engineering workplace.
Filled with illustrations and practical “punch-list” summaries, this career-building guide provides an introduction to the practice and business of structural and civil engineering, including lots of detailed advice on developing competence and communicating ideas. Comprehensive and easy-to-understand, The Structural Engineer's Professional Training Manual features:
- Recommendations for successfully training engineers who are new to the field
- Methods for bringing together ideas from a variety of sources to find workable solutions to difficult problems
- Information on the real-world behaviors of building materials
- Guidance on licensing, liability, regulations, and employment
- Techniques for responsibly estimating design time and cost
- Tips on communicating design ideas effectively
- Strategies for working successfully as part of a team
Inside This Skills-Building Engineering Resource • The Dynamics of Training • The World of Professional Engineering • The Business of Structural Engineering • Building Projects • Bridge Projects • Building Your Own Competence • Communicating Your Designs • Engineering Mechanics • Soil Mechanics • Understanding the Behavior of Concrete • Understanding the Behavior of Masonry Construction • Understanding the Behavior of Structural Steel • Understanding the Behavior of Wood Framing