The site is a ten acre swamp in Newton, MA of which only 1/8 of an acre is “buildable” by right. All construction materials were taken in by hand along a dirt path to minimize site disturbance. The Swamp Hut has no vehicular access.
The Swamp Hut is designed to sit lightly upon the land. Four huts surround a central deck creating a protective enclosure. Each building component has distinct characteristics appropriate to its use.
Swamp Hut by Moskow Linn Architects
- Architects: Moskow Linn Architects Inc.
- Location: Newton, MA
- Structures: Wood (dimensional / plywood)
- Roofs: Aluminum, translucent fiberglass
- Connections: Galvanized steel
- Construction : The Swamp Hut is constructed of standard framing stock with nominal sizes to minimize waste. Huts measure 8’ x 12’. The central deck is 14’ x 14’. Trusses are 12’ high and are constructed of 2” x 4” members. The Swamp Hut is designed to be prefabricated.
- Cost: Materials: $7,500; Labor: $15,000; Kitchen / Bath (composting toilet / solar shower): forthcoming; Electrical (photovoltaics): forthcoming