Sumit Singhal loves modern architecture. He comes from a family of builders who have built more than 20 projects in the last ten years near Delhi in India. He has recently started writing about the architectural projects that catch his imagination.
Puebla Library Park `South Heart` in México by Rondero Carpena Arquitectos, Luisa Marti, COR & Partners
May 15th, 2011 by Sumit Singhal
Article source: Rondero Carpena Arquitectos
“Here, we stopped to reflect on the place, making an attempt to understand this sector of the city in an environment that has no soul, no color… it is a part of the city without definition, to be mentioned and try to define its homes, how living in this sector, how is the house where peolple live? … Accumulate synonyms are not. Playing the lottery ceilings, roofs, terraces: la choza, el jacal, el jacalón urbano, la cabaña, el tugurio, la cueva, el cuartucho, el cuchitril, la vivienda de la vieja vecindad, and then, the buildings, the flats, the residence, the houses, the rancho. Makeshift houses in straying where others repeat their experience, ‘Parachute’ are. So call them. Invaders that arrive as the very dirt, a huge estate unjust poverty with no future ”
We are talking about an unhealthy city in the lost extra limit, that stretch as oil drops, house after house. With almost zero infrastructure and services, where people lack opportunities, education, relationships, opportunities. This is an area where life is improvised often sad, full of fear and hunger.
The urgency of change is vital for the future. The new government proposes to tackle the problem from the beginning. He advocates building a “Library Park ‘which is the heart of this sector, to start to revive its vital parts, veins and arteries, which give life to this neighborhood, eventually creating a sustainable social system where their people will experience increased quality of life, education and, above all, opportunities.
The proposal envisages the realization of (1) a park full of green spaces and pedestrian sports, along with (2) a building or central axis of the complex that aims to generate social change and development that promotes citizen meeting, educational and recreational activities The construction of collective approach to the new challenges of the digital culture, building and strengthening neighborhood organizations.
This project aims to get involved in the city with education, sports, culture, equity, social work and personal elements of ‘real change’ We understand that the city does not change with streets, but by building social equality. The fundamental idea is that this project seeks to transform the mentality neighborhood of disadvantaged communities, enhancing their physical and cultural environment, to stimulate and motor for renewal, evolution and change, empower their townsman pride and sense of belonging, and obviously , offer high-tech alternatives for fun, relaxation, connectivity, education and enlightenment.
In existing cases like Medellin Library Park we can see that in his first two years of operation, the impact on citizenship has been enormous. The direct beneficiaries and users move between amazement, pride, gratitude and hope, and is especially touching to see the attitude of children, young and old neighborhoods, leaving aside the adult population. All this can be seen in the many testimonies and awards received.
To enhance the urban significance of the intervention you choose to create an architecture capable of projecting and be a reference in its immediate context, as a large umbrella with a lot of identity, so as to erect ‘lighthouse’ of change in the neighborhood. A meeting place for sport, culture and knowledge. A place to start looking at the world from a different prism from which to compare and find better futures.
9 important points of the proposal :-
1. The building is a ‘lighthouse’ see and be seen. Its light reaches you, enlightens you and guides you … Light your deck vibrates at night depending on the use you have had during the day. Thanks to a low-power LED and a computer algorithm, the building late as a heart beats. Allowing understand instantly that you are in front of something different, something new, something modern, something promising …
2. The program is complex and comprehensive. Use zones arise 24, a building very practical in use and easy to maintain and control.
3. The park is not just a garden. It is a sports (football, basketball, volleyball, athletics, skating …), an outdoor museum can be visited, a garden that tells the story of Mexico, an exhibition hall outside, a garden where they learn to productive harvest. Is a productive garden.
4. The building does not pose a difficult access, or a door as a boundary or barrier, but rather as an opening that allows citizens to enter an extremely natural. We try to get everyone to enter.
5. The complex has to ‘trace’ in people. You must stay in the retina of its users, and be seeds of change.
6. Its vocation is to unifying and empowering changes.
7. Your way to build is about the Mexican tradition, semi-outdoor spaces, cracks, color.
8. We believe that architecture here it is able to change the world.
9. Implemented in the program area to our fundamental understanding of: vocational training. The Apprentice, hyperlocal business, micro, are clear future should occur in this neighborhood.
Contact Rondero Carpena Arquitectos, Luisa Marti, COR & Partners and Rondero Carpena Arquitectos, Luisa Marti, COR & Partners