Article source: Branimir Medić & Pero Puljiz, de Architekten Cie
This power station is an instrument of education: designed to develop a sensibility for the consumption of energy and sustainable cohabitation. Combined heat and power plants are usually neutral industrial structures that are situated at some inconspicuous location. By contrast, the Stadshaard (literally the ‘city hearth’) stands at a prominent spot in Roombeek, where a neutral building would be out of place. With the Stadshaard’s dimensions (a building 10 metres high with a 40-metre chimney) it would, moreover, be impossible to realize an ‘invisible’ building that merges with the surroundings.
- Architect: Branimir Medić & Pero Puljiz, de Architekten Cie
- Name of Project: Artistic amenity Stadshaard
- Location: Enschede, The Netherlands
- Client: Essent Warmte, Den Bosch
- Programme: warmtekrachtcentrale/ combined heat and power station
- Photos: Jeroen Musch, Hugo Kaagman