Article source: gmp Architekten
On the occasion of the UEFA European Football Championships in 2012, which Ukraine is staging jointly with Poland, the rebuilding of the Olympic Stadium for the final game has been realized.
The new design for the reconstruction of the stadium respects the historic fabric with its important filigree prestressed concrete upper tier built in 1968, the frame of the new roof structure being detached and placed clear of the existing bowl. This most distinctive feature is therefore being encased in a new filigree glass façade and will be duly illuminated with appropriate lighting.
- Architects: gmp Architekten
- Project: Olympic Stadium
- Location: Kiev, Ukraine
- Competition: 2008
- Design: Volkwin Marg with Christian Hoffmann and Marek Nowak
- Project leaders: Martin Bleckmann, Roman Hepp
- Co-operation with Private Creative Architectural: Bureau Y. Serjogin LLC, Kiev
- Structural design, roof and façade: schlaich bergermann und partner, Stuttgart – Knut Göppert with Markus Balz and Thomas Moschner