Article source: Gmp-Architects
About 800 meters long, with a square area of 185,000 square meters and designed for up to six million passengers a year.
Fraport and Lufthansa start operations in the extension of gate A at Rhein-Main airport, Frankfurt, which has been designed and implemented by the architects von Gerkan, Marg and Partners (gmp). The inauguration will take place on 2 October. The new A+ gate extends the areas used by Lufthansa at Terminal 1 and was required independently of the extension of the airport extension program, in order to be able to adequately serve the Airbus A380 and Boeing B747-8 wide-body aircraft. gmp’s commission included the new construction of the link between gates A and A+, also called the “root”, the baggage claim area A, the required conversions of existing structures in Terminal 1 as well as the new construction of gate A+.
Image Courtesy © Marcus Bredt
- Architects: Gmp · Architekten von Gerkan, Marg und Partner
- Project: Extension of gate A at Frankfurt airport
- Location: Frankfurt, Germany
- Photography: Marcus Bredt
- Footprint Area: 45,000 square meters
- Gross Floor Area: 188,000 square meters
- Existing Building Converted: 12,000 square meters
- Gross Volume: 960,000 cubic meters
- Length of Overall Project: 885 meters
- Length of Gate A+ Building: 650 meters
- Height of Gate A+ Building: 22 meters
- Glass Façades: 15,000 square meters