Archive for the ‘Airport’ Category
Thursday, January 12th, 2012
Article source: UNStudio
Ben van Berkel / UNStudio’s design for the new Kutaisi Airport officially presented yesterday by the President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili
UNStudio’s design for the new Transfer Terminal and Air Traffic Control Tower for Kutaisi Airport was officially presented yesterday by the President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili.
Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, who personally demolished one of the walls of the old airport yesterday announced, “”We will build an international airport here, which will take aircraft from Munich, Rome, Baku and other cities as of next year.”
Kutaisi Airport Departure
- Architects: UNStudio
- Project: Kutaisi Airport
- Location: Kutaisi, Georgia
- Client Terminal: United Airports of Georgia LLC
- Client Air Traffic Control Tower and Offices: SAKAERONAVIGATSIA Ltd.
- Building surface: Terminal 4.000m2, Control Tower and Offices 1.750m2
- Height Air Traffic Control Tower: 55m.
- Building site: 11.000 m2
- Programme: International Airport Terminal, Air Traffic Control Tower and Offices for Navigation
- Status: Concept Design 2011, Construction 2012
Thursday, January 12th, 2012
Article source: Foster + Partners
Kuwait International Airport is planned to significantly increase capacity and establish a new regional air hub in the Gulf – the project’s strategic aims will be matched by a state-of-the-art terminal building, which will provide the highest levels of comfort for passengers and will set a new environmental benchmark for airport buildings. Its design is rooted in a sense of place, responsive to the climate of one of the hottest inhabited environments on earth and inspired by local forms and materials.
- Architects: Foster + Partners
- Project: Kuwait International Airport
- Location: Kuwait City, Kuwait, Middle East, Asia
- Client: Ministry of Public works / Special Works Administration
- Local collaborating architect: Gulf Consult
- Airport Consultant: NACO
- Engineering: Arup
- Landscape Architect: Capita Lovejoy
- Quantity Surveyor: Davis Langdon LLP
- Traffic Consultant: Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Foster + Partners team: Norman Foster, Stefan Behling, Nikolai Malsch, Morgan Fleming, Michael Gardner, Reinhard Joecks, Hugo D’Enjoy Ochoa, Abdelkader El-Chgar, Tillmann Lenz, Gordon Seiles, Gabriele Coccia, Paul Christian, Rie Hasloev, Dirk Jantz, Kristine Ngan
Thursday, December 1st, 2011
Article source: Haptic Architects
NarudStokkeWiig / AVIAPLAN of Norway, in collaboration with London based Haptic Architects have revealed plans for a new regional airport in the municipality of Rana in Norway, just south of the Arctic Circle. The forested, mountain site provides a stunning setting for the new airport and terminal building, with views to the Fiords and a prime location to see the midnight sun and famous northern lights.
- Architects: Haptic Architects
- Project: Arctic Circle Airport
- Location: Nordland, Norway
Thursday, November 17th, 2011
Article source: Integrated Design Associates
The new airport, designated as the country’s second international gateway, is located on an island with very limited land mass for an international airport of this size. With airfield infrastructure consuming nearly all the available land our concept of a “floating terminal” has been selected by the Government for its innovative, exciting and eco-friendly approach. The proposed terminal is built entirely on stilts over water without reclamation to preserve the existing environment and the natural coastline. With blue sea, white sandy beach as backdrop the new airport aims to provide passengers with a unique and memorable travel experience.
Hanimaadhoo International Airport
- Architects: Integrated Design Associates Limited
- Project: Hanimaadhoo International Airport
- Location: Maldives
- Category: Future Projects – Infrastructure
- WAF: Entry2011
- Award: World Architecture Festival 2011 – Future Project of the Year
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011
Article source: VMX Architects
Schiphol’s General Aviation (GA) Terminal is where the private and business flights of Heads of States, members of the Royal Family, CEO’s, pop stars and top football players are handled. As a reaction to the inconvenience of flying today with low-cost airways and long queues, VMX found it’s inspiration in the terminals from the era in which aviation was seen as a pleasure and had a luxurious appeal.
General Aviation Terminal Schiphol
- Architects: VMX Architects
- Project: General Aviation Terminal Schiphol
- Location: Thermiekstraat 12, Schiphol Oost
- Architect Design: Don Murphy
- Project manager: Leon Teunissen
- Contributor: Hugo Kok
- Year Design: 2007-2009
- Year Execution – Completion: 2010-2011
Saturday, September 3rd, 2011
Article source: RSA Design Group
The existing airport in Baku currently serves both international and domestic flights. The local airport authority is currently in the process of building a new international terminal building. RSA Design Group was asked to submit a proposal for the renovation of the existing building. The renovated structure would be repurposed as a domestic terminal, with all international flights passing through the new terminal building.
- Architects: RSA Design Group
- Project: Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Thursday, August 11th, 2011
Article source: inFORM studio
The Terminal Expansion Capacity Program for the Myrtle Beach International Airport demonstrated a need to develop a new terminal for airport operations and additional gates to serve the increased passenger load. The $129 million project, governed by a tight budget and site parameters, includes a new ticketing lobby, baggage claim, baggage handling, TSA screening, a new 5 gate concourse and connector bridge to existing concourse with an additional gate integrated into the bridge to maximize the efficiency of circulation space.
Final Front Rendering
- Architect: inFORM studio
- Name of Project: Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR)
- Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Type: Terminal Capacity Enhancement Program
- Total Project: 218,661 sq. ft.
- Construction Cost: $72 million
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011
Article source: Asymptote Architecture
Zurich AirSpace by Asymptote integrates elegance in design with a sense of timelessness, engineered precision, housing a a wide range of programmatic functions. The basic premise of AirSpace is the interplay of a wide range of functions centered on luxury commerce, state-of-the-art medical facilities, cultural venues and higher education facilities, all in close proximity to the active hub of the Zurich Airport.
- ARCHITECT: Asymptote Architecture
- NAME OF PROJECT: Zurich AirSpace
- LOACTION: Zurich, Switzerland
- SIZE: 115,000 sq. m
- DATE: 2009 – Ongoing
Friday, June 3rd, 2011
Article source: b720 Fermín Vázquez Arquitectos
The programme of requirements includes a terminal building, a control tower, and two spaces for storages. Given their size, none of these elements were obvious candidates to represent a new airport. The strategy pursued therefore seeked to link the three programmes by means of a common visual element that avoids the impression that a strange object has landed in the fields of Lleida while also defining a recognisable landmark.
Airport (Image Courtesy Adrià Goula)
- Architects: b720 Fermín Vázquez Arquitectos
- Project: Lleida-Alguaire Airport
- Location: Alguaire, Lleida. Spain
- Competition phase: June – September 2007
- Construction phase: February 2008 – January 2010
- b720 team: Fermín Vázquez, Peco Mulet, Mónica Xampeny, Zelia Alves, Daniel Valdés, Iván Arellano, Gemma Ojea, Magdalena Ostornol, Egbert Oosterhoof, Sandra Palou, Jaime Luaces, Alessandro Zanchetta, Ángel Gaspar (models), Oriol Roig (3D)
Saturday, April 16th, 2011
Terminal 1 of Barcelona Airport
The project won the first prize in competition in 2001 and has been awarded as the best airport of Europe with ACI EUROPE 2010 prize.
Night View of Barcelona Airport New Terminal
- Architect: RICARDO BOFILL TALLER DE ARQUITECTURA
- Name of Project: Barcelona Airport New Terminal
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Gross floor area: 525.500 m2 (+ parking + CEN)
- Total cost: 800,000,000 €
- Client: AENA