Article source: Philipp Bechter
The design of a cemetery is based on the beliefs and their funeral rites, which in turn say a lot about the particular understanding of nature and social relations.
This fact should also be shown clearly in the new cemetery project for Muslims in Vorarlberg.
- Architects: Bernardo Bader
- Project: Islamic Cemetery Altach
- Location: Altach, Vorarlberg, Austria
- Year: 2012
- Property size: 8400m2
- Property owner: Vorarlberger Gemeindeverband
- Graves: compactly organized grave area with bench, 700 graves in the final possible
- Rooms: Ablution (ritual washing), Small prayer room (Mescid), Utility rooms Covered area for adoption
- Architectural strategy: very open and clearly laid out overall concept Pragmatic with very little symbolism unobtrusive integrated in the landscape
- Photos: Adolf Bereuter, Nikolaus Walter, Peter Allgäuer, Bernardo Bader