Archive for the ‘City Center’ Category
Thursday, January 15th, 2015
Article source: Banker Wire Mesh
Aggressive revitalization and community development projects have transformed Greenville, S.C. into one of America’s best downtowns, according to Forbes Magazine. A shade structure in its new ONE City Plaza, composed of Banker Wire mesh, embodies the city’s identity and encourages passers-by to enjoy the public space.
Image Courtesy © Banker Wire Mesh
- Architects: 4240 Architects
- Project: ONE City Plaza, Greenville’s pedestrian-only city center
Wednesday, September 17th, 2014
Article source: Girimun Architects
This master plan project located in the Dongcheng District transforms the existing 16.5 ha site into a sustainable high density mixed-used urban park. A one-of-a-kind multi-level pedestrian link cuts through a typical Beijing block linking two major roads, metro and train stations. Office and SOHO towers, hotels, services apartments, and exclusive luxury residential towers emerge from a dune-like topography where shopping and cultural activities weave into a series of plazas, event spaces and sunken gardens.
Image Courtesy © Girimun Architects
Friday, August 22nd, 2014
Article source: Erick van Egeraat
Erick van Egeraat is commissioned to further elaborate the master plan and a series of buildings for the city centre of the City of Unaizah in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The approved concept design provides attractive solutions for a series of challenges that the city centre is currently facing. This master plan will contribute to the continued growth and development of the City of Unaizah, with long-term benefits for the citizens of Unaizah and its visitors.
Image Courtesy © Erick van Egeraat
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014
Article source: María Langarita and Víctor Navarro
Perhaps more than anything else, it is the very strangeness of the diverging intentions found in the La Serrería Belga adaptation project for the Medialab-Prado that makes it possible for them to coexist, though not without a certain measure of irony.
The first of these caustic coexistences stems from a certain institutional schizophrenia. While the ‘Paseo del Arte’ was transformed into Madrid City Hall’s banner to attract international tourism, an architectural competition was simultaneously promoted in the same area, which would end up serving an institution that sponsored debates that were deeply critical of this model.
Image Courtesy © Miguel de Guzmán
- Architects: Langarita-Navarro Arquitectos (María Langarita and Víctor Navarro)
- Project: Medialab-Prado
- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Photography: Miguel de Guzmán
- Collaborators: Elena Castillo, Marta Colón, Javier González Galán, Roberto González, Juan Palencia, Guillermo Trapiello, Gonzalo Gutiérrez, Paula García-Masedo
- Structures: Mecanismo
- Installations: Úrculo Ingenieros
- Landscaping: Lorena García Rodríguez
- Project date: January 2008
- Client: Área de las Artes. Madrid City Hall
- Budget: 1600 euros/m2
Sunday, November 10th, 2013
Article source: Diederendirrix Architects
As part of a Design, Build & Maintain team, diederendirrix architects made the winning design for the redevelopment of the Krimpen aan den IJssel City Hall in the Netherlands.
In just 3 months’ time, the team – consisting of diederendirrix architects, Martens Aannemingsbedrijf, Imtech and Buro Lubbers – made a design for the building and its surroundings which fulfils the city’s wishes perfectly and meets their high sustainability requirements.
Image Courtesy © Diederendirrix Architects
Thursday, October 24th, 2013
Article source: Incite Design
Detroit is a unique city in so many ways. It has a rich heritage but has perhaps more important in our view is its potential for embracing new ways of inhabiting spaces. Our goal was to bring the vibrancy and possibility back to the city in the form of a structure that brings together ingenuity and thoughtfulness to this site. We wanted to look forward to the promise of something re-imagined but also acknowledge what was there before and propose as part of the project a digital repository where citizens can contribute to the shared memories.
Image Courtesy © Incite Design
- Architects: Incite Design
- Project: Energizing Downtown
- Location: Detroit
- Architect: Jeffrey Veffer
Tuesday, October 15th, 2013
Article source: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
Conversions of old city centers into traffic-free shopping and tourists’ malls have frequently been performed according to trite recipes. The shops’ increase in turnover mostly stands in opposite to the commercial alienation of old structures – a process of ‘gentrification’ in which old substance is scenically pepped up, while local societies are hollowed out and superseded.
Image Courtesy © Hertha Hurnaus
- Architects: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
- Project: FUZI pedestrian Candido
- Location: Innichen, Italy
- Photography: Hertha Hurnaus, AllesWirdGut
- Customer: Community Innichen – San Candido, Pflegplatz I-39038 San Candido – San Candido
- Start of planning Competition: 08/1999
- Completion: 1 Phase, 07/2002, 2 phase 07.2003
- Nettogrundrißfläche: 6.300m ²
- General Planning: AllesWirdGut architecture ZT GmbH
- Employee: Gilles Delalex, Frank Müller, Jan Schröder, Martin Brandt, Sebastian Gretzer
- Special experts: Site office assistant supervision Brunico
Thursday, September 19th, 2013
Article source: Henning Larsen Architects
Henning Larsen Architects in collaboration with Tema Landscape Architects Sweden, WSP Engineers Sweden and UiWE Cultural Designers have won the competition for a new city hall in Kiruna in Northern Sweden. The city hall will mark the beginning of the development of an entirely new city centre in Kiruna.
Image Courtesy © Henning Larsen Architects
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013
Article source: NÜVİST ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
Municipal corporation sare public-service utilities which meets the requirement for general public individual or common on the area of city surrounding. In this context, all global effects of technologies, changing for getting information in the modern world and also production and consumption need sare the symbols of contemporary figures on places fortoday’s world. So our major principle is to create a modern center space for relationship between public and municipal corporations.
Image Courtesy © NÜVİST ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
- Architects: NÜVİST ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
- Project: CITY HALL FOR DENIZLI
- Location: Istanbul, Turkey
- Year: 2009
- For: Denizli Metropolitan Municipality
- Site: 8945 m²
- Building: 7000 m²
- Software used: Autocad and 3ds Max
Sunday, August 25th, 2013
Article source: tvsdesign
An all-new landmark in Music City’s iconic downtown will open its doors May 19. At 1.2 million square feet of convention center area, Music City Center will give Nashville a bigger stage to host larger conventions and meetings and, ultimately, to make a greater impact on the economy of the city and state.
Image Courtesy © tvsdesign
- Architects: tvsdesign
- Project: Music City Center
- Location: Nashville, Tennessee
- Client: Nashville Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency
- Project area: 1,200,000 sf
- Project features: 370,000 sf exhibit halls, 60,000 sf ballrooms, 120,000 sf meeting rooms
- Associated architects: Tuck Hinton Architects, Moody Nolan, Inc.
- Project Opens: 2013
- Services provided: Architectural and interior design services
- Dates: 2009 – 2013
- Team Members: Robert Svedberg, Robert Bielamowicz
- Initial budget: $415,000,000
- Final budget: $585,000,000