Archive for the ‘City Center’ Category
Monday, June 11th, 2012
Article source: Henning Larsen Architects
Klaksvík’s new city centre will be established where the two inlets meet. The urban development plan incorporates and strengthens the existing qualities of the city. It creates an adventurous and vibrant city centre with a sheltered city square that will provide the framework for cultural activities and numerous other opportunities. The city square forms a natural connection to the sea and will be the heart of the city.
Klaksvík City Center
- Architects: Henning Larsen Architects
- Project: Klaksvík’s City Centre
- Location: Klaksvík, Faroe Islands
- Client: Municipality of Klaksvík
- Gross floor area: 150,000 m2
- Year of design: 2012 – 2012
- Type of assignment: 1st prize in open, international competition
Saturday, June 9th, 2012
Article source: Kubota & Bachmann Architects_LCC
The first step towards future Klasvík is a central situated square referring to the former landscape (the beach) in formations of the ancient building material the stone and the new industrial history – the beginning of Klaksvík – the stone pavements for drying fish – «Fiskastykki». The new Klaksvík will meet in a environment describing the essence of Klaksvík with the new layer of today´s life in an urban space for people to meet, engage and live modern life.
- Architects: Kubota & Bachmann Architects_LCC
- Project: Klaksvík City Center
- Location: Klaksvík, Faroe Island
- Client: Klaksvík Town Municipality
- Type of Competition: Open International Competition
- Program: Appartement, Commerces, Administration office, Tourist information office, Hotel, Library, Sailing sea museum, culture house, bus terminal, versailles orangerie concept glass house, parking and public square
- Software used: Rhino, 3DS max and Photoshop
Thursday, May 24th, 2012
Article source: Bureau B+B Urbanism and Landscape Architecture
In its earliest phase, at the start of the 1970s, construction activity in ‘new town’ Nieuwegein concentrated on its residential areas. Around when the city centre was about to have its turn, the economic climate offered little space for financing. The result was an introverted, cheap-looking shopping mall. Like many other ‘new towns’, Nieuwegein now faces the task of transforming the old shopping mall into a new vibrant heart. The structure inherited from the 1970s is to be subjected to a comprehensive revision.
Floral pattern and green islands
Saturday, March 10th, 2012
Article source: Zaha Hadid Architects
In sharp contrast to the basic rectangular geometry of its surroundings, our design proposes a structure punctuated by fluid horizontal louvres, which seem to move when graced by light and shade – issuing a playful invitation to enter – moving upwards to culminate in a gracious curving roof-line.
- Architect: Zaha Hadid Architects
- Name of Project: New Dance and Music Centre
- Location: The Hague, Netherlands
- Duration: 2010 – TBC
- Client: City of The Hague
- Type: Competition / Research
Thursday, February 2nd, 2012
Article source: Gehry Partners, LLP; Hines Interests Limited Partnership and West 8
Opened in January 2011, the 5.86-acre Miami Beach City Center Redevelopment project consists of New World Center, an innovative facility for music education and performance with state-of-the-art technical capabilities; Miami Beach Sound Scape, an adjacent 2.5-acre public park and event space; and a 556-space municipal parking structure.
Images Courtesy Robin Hill
Thursday, January 19th, 2012
Article source: MVRDV
Bastide Niel will become a lively extension to the city centre with a mixed program of 3200 homes, 25.000 m2 retail , 25.000 m2 offices, 15.000 m2 crafts and 58.000 m2 public facilities such as a university building, the municipal archives, a cultural building, a community centre, schools, day care centres and sport facilities, such as a skate park. The 35ha site near the Garonne River lies within walking distance from the historic UNESCO listed centre of Bordeaux and is currently occupied by warehouses, redundant barracks and rail embankments. The question was how to create a vibrant neighbourhood in tradition of but as well as an update of the European city: historic, mixed and intimate; light, green and dense.
- Architects: MVRDV
- Project: ZAC Bastide Niel
- Location: Bordeaux, France
Sunday, November 27th, 2011
Article source: ECDM Architects
Our proposal is for a unifying building, a building that represents both the Mériadeck neighborhood and the old city, that participates in defining an urban landscape and carries the values of a society more open to its environment. It was therefore around the creation of an open space, a space of convergence and exchange that we wanted to organize the program, a space framing the city, organizing open programs and services around the borders, a space animated by its users and actors. It acts as a beautiful and lively space, where the dynamism of Bordeaux is displayed for a close and urban administration.
Exterieur Vue Ouest
- Architects: ECDM Architects
- Project: City Municipal Office Complex
- Location: at the entry of Mériadeck, Bordeaux (33), France
- Contractor: ADIM SudOuest
- Net Area: 21 000 m²
- Cost: 42 M€ Before Taxes
- Realization: 2011
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011
Article source: BDP Architects
BDP has completed a masterplan study in Samara, the sixth largest city in Russia, won against strong international competition earlier this year. BDP was masterplanner, architect, landscape architect and sustainability consultant supported by WSP highways and Davis Langdon cost consultant for client Samara-Center, reuniting the same core masterplan team as the Stirling Prize shortlisted Liverpool One Masterplan.
- Architects: BDP Architects
- Project: Russian Masterplan
- Location: Samara, Russia
- Software used: Microstation for the 2d drawings and Sketchup for the 3d model
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011
Article source: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
Stahlhof Belval Ouest
Between forward-facing high-rise buildings and blast furnaces of the past the new Steelyard square forms the center of Belval Ouest, a city development project which is currently constructed in Luxembourg on the grounds of a former steel mill.
Images Courtesy Roger Wagner
- Architect: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
- Name of Project: LUX – Stahlhof Belval Ouest
- Type: City Square Developing
- Location: Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
- Client: Agora, société de développement
- Photos: Roger Wagner
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011
Article source: MVRDV & COBE
The MVRDV and COBE scheme for the transformation of a former concrete factory into a multifunctional creative hub was chosen winner of an international design competition. The masterplan proposes an informal transformation of the 45.000m2 site into a dense neighborhood, incl. 8.000m2 existing factory halls, organized around a plaza for events. Three new volumes will be added on top of the halls: The 11.000m2 ROCKmagneten consists of The Danish Rock Museum, The Roskilde Festival Folkschool incl. student housing, and the headquarters of the famous Roskilde Rock Festival. They share program in a public creative communal house. The museum with a total of 3.000m2 will be completed as the first phase in 2014.
Behind the museum is a courtyard adjacent to the artist's studio
- Architect: MVRDV & COBE
- Name of Project: ROCKmagneten
- Location: Roskilde, Denmark