Archive for the ‘Educational Center’ Category
Tuesday, June 12th, 2012
Article source: Perkins Eastman
With new curricula that would support its transition from an associate to a baccalaureate degree-granting institution, Morrisville State College asked Perkins Eastman to transform a former agricultural building into a modern light-filled space for new programs in architecture and technology—the Center for Design and Technology.
Image Courtesy David Revette
- Architects: Perkins Eastman
- Project: SUNY: Morrisville State College: Center for Design and Technology
- Location: Morrisville, New York
Sunday, June 10th, 2012
Article source: SVArquitectura
The general object is the refurbishment and extension of the Secondary School ‘Garrotxa’ and its department for job-training enclosing new units of classrooms and workshops for training courses. Finally a new sports hall with multipurpose-character for social events completes the complex.
Image Courtesy Beat Marugg
- Architects: SVArquitectura
- Project: Secondary School, Vocational Training Center ‘IES Garrotxa’
- Location: Highway Riudaura, no. 110, Olot, La Garrotxa. Girona
- Department or agency encarrega the project: INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT SA
- Department or agency receiving the work: DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION The Government of Catalonia
- Owner of the land or building: CITY OF OLOT
- Execution: 2007 – 2009
- Author: SANTIAGO VIVES Sanfeliu
Wednesday, May 30th, 2012
Article source: Mecanoo architecten
The district of Sterrenburg is located on the south side of Dordrecht and was largely built during the 1960s and 1970s. It is a sizable district with 21,000 residents and a generous share of parks, gardens and other green areas; it is also very close to the historical natural conservancy areas on the ‘Island’ of Dordrecht. The new building for KIEM will be built on the northern edge of the area on the De Sitterstraat. The school’s joint name covers five separate branches of education, care and medical science. De Vlij is a ‘Mytyl’ school for children with a physical disability or multiple disabilities, the Blije Gaarde, a school for children with serious learning issues and the Dordtse Buitenschool for children with long-term illnesses.
- Architects: Mecanoo architecten
- Project: KIEM onderwijs met zorg
- Location: Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- Design: 2010-2011
- Execution: 2011-2013
- Client: SPON, Dordrecht
- Project management: ICS Adviseurs, Amsterdam
- Structural engineer: JVZ Raadgevend Ingenieursburo bv, Deventer
- Mechanical engineer: DHV, Den Haag
- Electrical engineer: DHV, Den Haag
- Building costs consultant: Bremen Bouwadviseurs b.v., Rotterdam
- Program: 5,322 m² school for separate branches of education (multiple disabilities, long-term illnesses and learning issues), care and medical science, including preschool and after-school activities and sports facilities.
Sunday, May 27th, 2012
Article source: Zeidler Partnership Architects and Snøhetta
Designed by the architectural team of Zeidler and Snøhetta the stunning new building will provide Ryerson students with an outstanding environment to study, collaborate and discover. The eight-storey Student Learning Centre marks Ryerson’s new face on Yonge Street. It will feature a glass façade, an elevated plaza, a bridge to the existing library and a range of academic, study and collaborative spaces for Ryerson’s students, faculty and staff. Yonge Street frontage will feature destination retail at and below grade, creating a prominent commercial façade.
Ryerson University Student Learning Centre
Friday, May 25th, 2012
Article source: Daniel Bonilla Arquitectos
Universidad EAN – El Nogal Campus – Classroom building is the result of a competition by invitation, where we propose to set up a university campus where the buildings are as important as the common open spaces. A place where students can meet, study, rest, … a second home for education and fun. The strategy was to generate a large colective space, a central upward spiral, surrounded by a classroom building (Phase 1) and the offices and welfare building.
Image Courtesy Rodrigo Dávila
- Architects: Daniel Bonilla Arquitectos
- Project: Universidad EAN – El Nogal Campus – Classroom building
- Location: Bogotá, Colombia
- Client: Universidad EAN
- Built area: 14016.8 m2
- Construction date: 2009 -2011
- Architectural design: Daniel Bonilla Arquitectos – Taller de Arquitectura de Bogotá /TAB
- Design team: María Alejandra Echeverry, María Paula González, Elizabeth Añaños, Sebastián Chica, Alexander Roa, Guillermo Barahona, Alex Larin
- Photographer: Rodrigo Dávila – Daniel Bonilla
Wednesday, May 9th, 2012
Article source: Santiago Calatrava
Construction Begins on New Campus’ Inaugural Building
On March 22nd Florida Polytechnic broke ground on the first building of its new campus. Designed by renowned architect, Santiago Calatrava, the new Innovation, Science & Technology building will establish the design scheme for all other structures within the campus’ master plan, which Calatrava is also responsible.
Images Courtesy of Santiago Calatrava, LLC.
- Architect: Santiago Calatrava
- Name of Project: Florida Polytechnic’s new campus
- Location: Florida, USA
- Photographer: Santiago Calatrava, LLC.
Saturday, May 5th, 2012
Article source: Dinkoff Architects & Engineers Inc.
DISASTER PREVENTION AND EDUCATION CENTER
The rich culture of Turkey includes a monument to human achievement, invention, and practicality – a site called Cappadocia. More than two thousand years ago, the people of the region sought a strong, permanent and imposing shelter. Inspired by the natural geological formations in the region which withstood all natural onslaughts, the people carved and “engineered” homes and public spaces within those natural rock formations. They did this with such skill and esthetics that it still echoes today with vibrancy and life.
- Architect: Dinkoff Architects & Engineers Inc.
- Name of Project: ROCK-SETTE
- Location: Bakirkoy District, Istanbul, Turkey
- Lot Size: 27,000 Sq.M.
- Max Allowed Buildable Area: 9,450 Sq.M.
- Client: ThyssenKrupp Elevator, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Istanbul, Turkey
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012
Article source: Al Borde
Here in Cabuyal people live without electricity, without sewage or running water. People do not use money; they have no jobs or professions. People do not measure time with clocks; do not use meters or rulers. Here there is no private property, nor institutions. Over here life is simple: if they are tired, they sleep, if they are bored, they play. They have ignored boundaries, morals and shoes. They do not need gods, laws, or degrees. They satisfy their needs almost obviously: the sea and the land are the supermarket and forest trees are the material to build their houses.
Image Courtesy Sebastián Melo
- Architects: Al Borde
- Project: Esperanza Dos
- Location: Manabí, Ecuador
- Project Architects: AL BORDE, David Barragán, Pascual Gangotena & Esteban Benavides
- Colaborator: Grace Pozo
- Site: Manabí – Ecuador
- Constructor: AL BORDE + Volunteers + Community
- Design: 2011
- Construction: 2011
- Area: 140m2 aprox.
- Budget: US$ 700, all the community material and all the work of the volunteers and community
- Photographs: Francisco Suarez, Esteban Cadena, Sebastián Melo, Andrea Vargas, Grace Pozo and AL BORDE
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012
Article source: Lord, Aeck & Sargent
The Georgia Health Sciences University (GHSU) College of Dental Medicine (CDM) – has a new $112 million home that features a warm, embracing, family-centric care environment, provides state-of-the-art equipment for both students and dental practices, and fulfills a need for the university to educate more dentists. Designed by architecture firm Lord, Aeck & Sargent (LAS) in collaboration with Francis Cauffman as consulting dental architect, the five-story, 269,000-square-foot building features a host of sustainable design elements and is targeting LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Image Courtesy Jonathan Hillyer / Atlanta
- Architects: Lord, Aeck & Sargent
- Project: College of Dental Medicine
- Location: Georgia
- Photography: Jonathan Hillyer / Atlanta
- Software used: Autodesk Revit for the design with supplemental use of the Adobe Creative Suite for renderings and presentation layouts
Friday, March 30th, 2012
Article source: Hawkins\Brown
Hawkins\Brown has completed new student accommodation, a restaurant and CPD facility at the Royal Veterinary College’s Hawkshead Campus near Potters Bar, Hertfordshire. The scheme allows for an increased number of students to live on campus, providing accommodation for 205 students, a restaurant and conference/meeting rooms.
Exterior View (Images Courtesy Tim Crocker)
- Architects: Hawkins\Brown
- Name of Project: Student Village, Royal Veterinary College
- Location: Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
- Gross internal area: 6,480 sq m
- Value: £18 million
- Photographs: Tim Crocker