Article source: J. MAYER H. Architects
HIGHWAY REST STOPS 1-2, Rest Stops for the new Highway in Gori, Georgia
In 2009, the head of the Roads Department of Georgia commissioned J. MAYER H. to design a system of 20 rest stops for the new highway, a thoroughfare that will run through Georgia and serve as a connection between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Turkey. Two first rest stops were completed in 2011 near Gori, a third in Lochini was finished 2012. The new rest stops are located on selected scenic viewpoints along the route and serve as activators for their area and neighboring cities, including not only nearby a gas stations and supermarket, but also a farmers market and a cultural space for local arts and crafts.
- Architects: J. MAYER H. Architects
- Project: Highway Rest Stops
- Location: Gori, Georgia
- Photography: Marcus Buck
- Software used: ArchiCad and Maya
- Project architect: Dr. Paul Angelier, Juergen Mayer H.
- Project team: Marcus Blum, Guy Levy
- Clients: JSC Wissol Petroleum Georgia, Socar Georgia Petroleum, Tbilisi
- Architect on site: Kobulieli and Partners, Ltd.”Alioni 99”, Tbilisi
- Total floor area: Wissol: 2.000 m², Socar: 1.500 m²
- Project date: 2009-2011, Completion: 2011
- Awards: Architizer A+, Winner, 2013