Archive for the ‘Library’ Category
Wednesday, May 14th, 2014
Article source: 4PLIUS architects
The idea behind this project was simple and symbolic at the same time: books, the essence of knowledge, communication and cultural tradition. As the function of a public library requires, it is open to everyone – and that is why the shape of a transparent cube, a shining body at night has been chosen. As if books follow the precept of the first Lithuanian book inviting “take me and read me”…
Image Courtesy © R.Urbakavicius
- Architects: 4PLIUS architects (Donaldas Trainauskas , Darius Baliukevicius)
- Project: Public Library of A.& M. Miskiniai
- Location: Utena, Lithuania
- Photography: R.Urbakavicius
- Constructor: Vytas Merkevicius
- Area: 3.500 sqm
- Year: 2008
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014
Article source: Pascal Arquitectos
Why build a library today? seems absurd, it would be more logical to build a museum for books.
This would be like a mausoleum, a masterpiece of our last president who in a patron’s act wanted to be remembered and transcend through its materiality.His intentions were to mimic what was done with the construction of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao; to trigger the real estate recovery of the zone by creating added value to de adjacent land.
Image Courtesy © Pascal Arquitectos
- Architects: Pascal Arquitectos
- Project: Jose Vasconcelos Public Library
- Location: Mexico City, Mexico
- Software used: it is drawn in AutoCAD
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014
Article source: Khosla Associates
The brief for this house was a well articulated document that delved into the nuances of how this family of 3 wanted to live. The family, comprising an entrepreneur-industrialist, married to a bohemian writer and with a teenage daughter, wanted the house to reflect the diverse range of their lives.
Image Courtesy © Shamanth Patil J.
- Architects and Interior Design: Khosla Associates
- Project: The Library House
- Location: Bangalore, India
- Photography: Shamanth Patil J.
- Principal designers: Sandeep Khosla and Amaresh Anand
- Design team: Sandeep Khosla, Amaresh Anand and Priyanka Sams
- Clients: Nikhil Kumar and Lavanya Sankaran
- Civil Contractors: JJ Constructions Pvt. Ltd.
- Structural Engineer: S & S Associates.
- Landscape: Dewa Kusuma, Bali.
Tuesday, May 6th, 2014
Article source: DONAIRE ARQUITECTOS
Restoration of the “Los Reales de Almonte” Warehouse for use as a public library, and School of Arts (Music, Dance and Art). The project is centred on a warehouse registered as being of Cultural Interest.
It is situated in the “Culture City” in Almonte, next to the town’s new Theatre and enclosed within a public square.
Specifically, the library is located in a wine cellar, typical of the local area. The building is 78m long and 10,5m wide, with a total area of 821 m² The building is open on 3 sides.
Image Courtesy © Fernando Alda
- Architects: DONAIRE ARQUITECTOS
- Project: PUBLIC LIBRARY AND MUSIC SCHOOL
- Location: Almonte, Spain
- Photography: Fernando Alda
- Project year: 2004-2010
- Client: Almonte Town Hall
- Area: 1.725,00 m²
- Budget: 828.214,10 €
- Architect authors: Juan Pedro Donaire Barbero
- Architect team: Jesús Núñez Bootello, Ignacio Núñez Bootello , Carmela Domínguez Asencio , Tibisay Cañas Fuentes , Beatriz Hacar Hernández , Juan Vega Espinar , David Rapado Moreno , Delia Pacheco Donaire , Pablo Baruc García Gómez.
- Engineering: Javier Drake Canela , Guillermo Márquez Villanueva, Alfonso Buiza Camacho.
Thursday, May 1st, 2014
Article source: Triptyque Architecture
The multimedia library of Osny was designed by Triptyque’s architects as a covered urban space : an extension of the public space. The project draws freeing up the architectural plan, reducing the boundaries between inside and outside. The building is designed like a hall, emphasizing spatial fluidity and scalability of interior spaces for future adaptations.
Image Courtesy © Triptyque Architecture
- Architects: Triptyque Architecture
- Project: Multimedia library
- Location: Osny 95, France
- Photography: Triptyque Architecture
- Project owner: Mairie d’Osny
- Mastery of work: Triptyque (agent architect) / Bidard &Raissi (architect associate)
- Program: Médiathèque BBC
- Mission: basis mission
- Surface SHON: 1487 m²
- Plot area: 2150 m²
- Budget: 3,65M€
- Planning: under construction
- Delivery: Avril 2015
- Partner: Greg Bousquet, Carolina Bueno, Guillaume Sibaud et Olivier Raffaelli
- General Coordinator: Morgan Rapy
- Project Manager: Damien Murat
- Technical Consultancy TCE: Arcadis
- Acoustician: Tisseyre & associés
- General Firm: Fayolle & Fils
Saturday, April 19th, 2014
Article source: Neutelings Riedijk Architects
The Eemhuis combines a number of existing cultural institutes in the city of Amersfoort: the city library, the exposition center, the heritage archives and a school for dance, music and visual arts. It is located on an urban redevelopment area close to the city center.
Image Courtesy © Daria Scagliola en Stijn Brakkee + Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- Architects: Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- Project: LIBRARY, MUSEUM AND ART SCHOOL “EEMHUIS”
- Location: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
- Photography: Daria Scagliola en Stijn Brakkee + Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- Surface area: 16.000 m2
- Client: City of Amersfoort, Stadhuisplein 1, 3811 LM Amersfoort
- Desig: 2006
- Start construction: 2011
- Opening spring: 2014
- Structural desig: ABT Adviesbureau voor Bouwtechniek, Delft, Velp , The Netherlands
- Building physics: DGMR Raadgevend Ingenieurs, Arnhem, The Netherlands
- Installation design: HE Adviseurs, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Cost managment: BBN Adviseurs, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- General contarctor: Dura Vermeer Bouw bv, Hengelo, The Netherlands
Saturday, April 19th, 2014
The building and its location
The media library is pointing at three directions: East, West and South. These are making up the three images and views of the building.
Image Courtesy © Luc Boegly
- Architects: OPUS 5 Architectes
- Project: MEDIA LIBRARY
- Location: BRITTANY, FRANCE
- Photography: Luc Boegly and Bruno DECARIS
- Project owner: Ville de Pontivy
- Project management: Opus 5 architectes, Structural engineer Batiserf, Fluids engineer Louis Cholet, Acoustic engineer Impedance, Economist Bureau Michel Forgue,
- Program: construction of a media library and public archives
- Area: 2 700m²
- Cost of works: 5.2M€ HT
- Schedule: Delivery September 2013
Thursday, March 27th, 2014
Article source: +ADD
FiftyThree is a space to create – a combination between work space, library, home and a forest. Honest materials and understated confidence. Under this creed – that we never lost sight of – we created a space that involved a very honest and open layout that promoted teamwork and collaboration.
Image Courtesy © Matthew Williams
- Architects: +ADD (Laura Gonzalez Fierro )
- Project: FIFTYTHREE, INC.
- Location: 60 Hudson Street Suite 1810, NEW YORK 10013
- Photography: Matthew Williams
- Software used: Autocad 2013, 3D Max, Rhino, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Collaborator: Carolina Rivera
- Structural Engineer: Anthony Gennaro P.E.
- General Contactor: Northern Bay Contractors, Inc
- Project Year: 2014
- Area: 6,600 sq ft
Wednesday, March 26th, 2014
Article source: Hodgetts + Fung
Our practice serves the needs of academic institutions in need of creative and often precedent-setting solutions to complex problems. Our Towell Library project on the UCLA campus marked the first application of a tensile fabric structure to the complex issues of this critical academic resource.
Image Courtesy © Hodgetts + Fung
Thursday, March 20th, 2014
Article source: Henning Larsen Architects
The new Helsinki Central Library is uniquely situated in the historic city centre, with direct views to the downtown area and Töölönlahti Bay. The design of the new building is inspired by this exceptional location, incorporating and intertwining the park and city in a sweeping gesture reminiscent of a yin yang symbol.
Image Courtesy © Henning Larsen Architects
- Architects: Henning Larsen Architects
- Project: New Helsinki Central Library
- Location: Helsinki, Finland
- Client: The City of Helsinki
- Gross floor area: 10,000 m2
- Year of design: 2012 – 2013
- Type of assignment: Open International Competition