A life-size indoor maze by BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group is sure to delight its visitors at the National Building Museum in Washington, offering a glimpse into the upcoming BIG exhibition at the Museum in early 2015.
“The concept is simple: as you travel deeper into a maze, your path typically becomes more convoluted. What if we invert this scenario and create a maze that brings clarity and visual understanding upon reaching the heart of the labyrinth”, Bjarke Ingels, Founding Partner, BIG.
The Real Hospicio del Ave María y Santo Rey Don Fernando was founded in 1673 by the Queen Mariana de Austria.
Between 1673 and 1703, architects including José del Arroyo, Felipe Sánchez, Teodoro Ardemans, Fillippo Pallota and Francisco de Sevilla constructed the first phase of the church and part of the principal building.
Today the Danish Rock Museum, MVRDV and COBE together with Wessberg engineers and LIWplanning start construction of the new home for the Danish Rock Museum in Roskilde. The museum, which offers visitors an adventurous rock music experience, will open its doors in 2015. It is the first building of ROCKmagneten, a larger rock music district consisting of three new buildings and a refurbished factory. Roskilde is the location of the annual Roskilde Festival, the largest North European culture and music festival.
THE HAGUE: On June 28th, after a construction period of just two years, the new Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis in The Hague opens its doors to the public for the first time. The surface area of the famous Mauritshuis museum has been doubled – although there is hardly any indication of this fact above ground, thanks to a complex and spectacular feat of engineering which was completed on schedule and within budget. The dramatic yet subtle intervention has solved the logistical problems facing the constantly busy, much-visited museum, while also resulting in a bright and welcoming entrance space characterised by an ingenious and striking use of daylight. The renovation of the existing Mauritshuis was also a part of this project.
The winners of the invited international competiton for the „Nobel Quran Oasis“ have been announced in Madinah. Gerber Architekten convinced the jury with their landscape focused design and share the second prize with Ricardo Bofill-Taller de Arquitectura. A first prize was not awarded and the third prize was given to gmp. Zaha Hadid and Arata Isozaki & Associates both received a commendation.
Article source: Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura
The Generalitat and the Institut Català d’Estudis Mediterranis, ICEM wishes to create an important and prestigious cultural institution, the Mediterranean Cultural Center. Located in Barcelona, the M.C.C., will be representative of the cultural and economical dynamism of Catalonia, and will consolidate Barcelona as the capital city of the Mediterranean Culture.
Article source: dmvA architecten en Hlc.r architect
‘Hof van Busleyden’ consists of a complex of buildings, built out of brick and sandstone in replicating late-gothic style, around three external spaces: the small northern court-yard with pine trees, the central rectangular one, paved with cobblestones, and the south-oriented town garden. Since 1938 its function is the one of city museum. The building was protected as a monument.
Experiential designers MET Studio have been appointed to design three out of the total of six galleries foran exciting, new-build, 14,000 sq m museum in Western Mexico, with a working title of Museo de CienciasAmbientales (Museum of Environmental Sciences) or MCA. The ambitious new museumis set to form part of a major new cultural quarter, located close to the University of Guadalajara (Universidad de Guadalajara), and will take the form of an engagement centre looking at the future sustainability of Western Mexico and its relationship with the metropolitan city of Guadalajara.
MVRDV completed its transformation of the entrance of Stedelijk Museum Schiedam. The museum for modern art, which is housed in a historical building transformed its central neoclassical chapel into an entrance, shop and café area. The transformation adds a visually clear element, a red shelf which contains all new program and treats the historic structure respectfully. The 500m2 transformation started last year and was recently finalised.