Archive for the ‘Museum’ Category
Friday, June 27th, 2014
Article source: Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura
The Generalitat and the Institut Català d’Estudis Mediterranis, ICEM wishes to create an important and prestigious cultural institution, the Mediterranean Cultural Center. Located in Barcelona, the M.C.C., will be representative of the cultural and economical dynamism of Catalonia, and will consolidate Barcelona as the capital city of the Mediterranean Culture.
The MCC is essentially composed of four entities:
- A museum of natural history and cultural history.
- The multimedia library of the Mediterranean..
- A center of study and investigation.
- A conference center.
Image Courtesy © Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura
- Architects: Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura (Vanessa Cólliga)
- Project: Mediterranean Cultural Centre
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Lobby, Reception, Information, Restauration and Retail: Gross 7,650m2 Net 6,090 m2
- Natural History and Cultural History Museum: Gross 16,000m2 Net 12,370m2
- Library: Gross 8,000m2 Net 6,900m2
- Center of studies: Gross 1,800 m2 Net 1,330m2
- Conference center: Gross 2,500m2 Net 1,920m2
- Administration: Gross 6,450m2 Net 4,700m2
- Parking: Gross 2,000m2 Net 2,500m2
Friday, June 27th, 2014
Article source: dmvA architecten en Hlc.r architect
‘Hof van Busleyden’ consists of a complex of buildings, built out of brick and sandstone in replicating late-gothic style, around three external spaces: the small northern court-yard with pine trees, the central rectangular one, paved with cobblestones, and the south-oriented town garden. Since 1938 its function is the one of city museum. The building was protected as a monument.
Image Courtesy © Frederik Vercruysse
- Architects: dmvA architecten en Hlc.r architect
- Project: Renewal ‘Stedelijk Museum Hof van Busleyden’
- Location: Mechelen, Belgium
- Photography: Frederik Vercruysse
- Principal: City Mechelen
- Team : David Driesen, Tom Verschueren, Valerie Lonnoy, Hans Le Compte en Ria Maesen
- General contractor: WGC nv
- Constructional engineer: BAS bvba
- Built area: 1800m2
- Completion: 10/08/2013
Saturday, June 21st, 2014
Experiential designers MET Studio have been appointed to design three out of the total of six galleries foran exciting, new-build, 14,000 sq m museum in Western Mexico, with a working title of Museo de CienciasAmbientales (Museum of Environmental Sciences) or MCA. The ambitious new museumis set to form part of a major new cultural quarter, located close to the University of Guadalajara (Universidad de Guadalajara), and will take the form of an engagement centre looking at the future sustainability of Western Mexico and its relationship with the metropolitan city of Guadalajara.
Image Courtesy © Sn_hetta and MET Studio
- Architects: MET Studio
- Project: Museum of Environmental Sciences
- Location: Western Mexico
- Photography: Sn_hetta and MET Studio
- Leading architects: Snøhetta
Thursday, June 19th, 2014
Article source: MVRDV
MVRDV completed its transformation of the entrance of Stedelijk Museum Schiedam. The museum for modern art, which is housed in a historical building transformed its central neoclassical chapel into an entrance, shop and café area. The transformation adds a visually clear element, a red shelf which contains all new program and treats the historic structure respectfully. The 500m2 transformation started last year and was recently finalised.
Image Courtesy © Daria Scagliola & Stijn Brakkee
- Architects: MVRDV
- Project: Transformation Stedelijk Museum Schiedam: MVRDV wraps interior of historical chapel in red shelves
- Photography: Daria Scagliola & Stijn Brakkee
Tuesday, June 17th, 2014
Article source: Cooper Joseph Studio
This site-specific light sculpture marks a new era for the museum, igniting the majestic circular stair at the heart of its historic interior. Conceived as a perfect circle in elevation, the sculpture is in dialogue with the stair so that old and new are joined in one experience.
Image Courtesy © RUSH Design, Eduard Hueber/ArchPhoto Inc.
- Architects: Cooper Joseph Studio
- Project: Starlight
- Location: New York, U.S.A
- Photography: RUSH Design, Eduard Hueber/ArchPhoto Inc.
- Architect in Change: Wendy Evans Joseph, FAIA
- Lighting engineer: Studio 1Thousand
- Fabrication: RUSHdesign
Sunday, June 15th, 2014
Article source: BIG Architects
Swiss luxury watchmaker Audemars Piguet chooses BIG to expand its historic headquarters. The 2.400m2/25,800 ft pavilion will be a striking landmark to precision seamlessly integrated into the local landscape.
Team BIG, HG Merz, Luchinger & Meyer and Muller Illien´s design is rooted in the origins of the family owned company, a history of watchmaking that goes back centuries and is nested in the nature and culture of the Vallée de Joux. Surrounded by the historical workshops in Le Brassus in the heart of La Vallée de Joux, the new museum called Maison des Fondateurs, will be imbedded in the landscape – reuniting the buildings with the undulating fields of the valley.
Image Courtesy © BIG Architects
- Architects: BIG Architects
- Project: MUSEUM FOR SWISS WATCH MAKER AUDEMARS PIGUET
- Location: Le Brassus, Switzerland
- Collaborators: HG Merz, Luchinger und Meyer, Muller Illien
- Size: 2400 m2/ca 25,800 ft
- Partner-in-Charge: Bjarke Ingels, Thomas Christoffersen
- Project Leader: Daniel Sundlin
- Team: Ji-Young Yoon, Jason Wu, Otilia Pupezeanu, Natalie Kwee, Beat Schenk, Dammy Lee, Blake Smith, Marie Lancon, Yaziel Juarbe, Julien Beauchamp-Roy, Kristian Hindsberg, Pauline Lavie
Saturday, June 14th, 2014
Article source: Emre Arolat Architects
Istanbul Bilgi University seeked for the renovation of Silahtaraga Power Plant, a typical modern industrial setting formed between 1910′s and 1950′s, to be transformed into a museum, recreational and educational center. This institution covers a site of 107.000 m², between the rivers Alibeykoy and Kagithane, at the end of Golden Horn that had been the center and main scene of Istanbul for many centuries, that had been discredited and become worn from the end of 19th century to 1990’s and that has started to glare once again with many projects after being rediscovered in last 15 years.
Image Courtesy © Emre Arolat Architects
- Architects: Emre Arolat Architects
- Project: Santral Istanbul Contemporary Arts Museum
- Location: İstanbul, Turkey
Friday, June 13th, 2014
Article source: NIKKEN SEKKEI
Image Courtesy © Toshio Kaneko
- Architects: NIKKEN SEKKEI (Tomohiko Yamanashi , Taro Nakamoto , Takashi Suzuki , Masanori Yano)
- Project: HOKI MUSEUM
- Location: Chiba, Japan
- Photography: Toshio Kaneko, Koji Fujii [Nacasa & Partners] and Harunori Noda [Gankohsha]
- Structural engineers: NIKKEN SEKKEI
- Mechanical engineers: NIKKEN SEKKEI
- Principal use: Museum
- Site area: 3,862.72m2
- Building area: 1,602.39m2
- Total floor area: 3,722.39m2
- Structure: reinforced concrete , partly steel
- Scale in building: 1 story and 2 basements
- Maximum height: 7,060mm
- Completion date: August, 2010
Saturday, May 31st, 2014
Article source: CVDB Arquitectos
The Tapestry Museum in Arraiolos occupies an existent building that once was Espírito Santo Hospital. The building is located in the main square of Arraiolos (Lima de Brito Square), a small town in Alentejo, Portugal. This public space streamlines the town’s social and cultural life. It gathers the Municipality and some commercial services. The Tapestry Museum contributes to consolidate the character of the square as qualified public space, in the urban tissue of Arraiolos.
Image Courtesy © Fernando Guerra | FG+SG
- Architects: CVDB Arquitectos
- Project: Tapestry Museum
- Location: Arraiolos, Portugal
- Photography: Fernando Guerra | FG+SG
- Architect In Charge: Cristina Veríssimo, Diogo Burnay, Tiago Filipe Santos
- DESIGN TEAM: Joana Barrelas, Rodolfo Reis, Ariadna Nieto, Ângelo Branquinho, Hugo Nascimento, Inês Carrapiço, José Maria Lavena, Laura Palma e Miguel Travesso.
- STRUCTURE, FOUNDATION ANS AND SERVICES: AFA Consult
- LANDSCAPE DESIGN: F&C Arquitectura Paisagista
- REHABILITATION CONSULTANT: Prof. Arq. José Aguiar
- CLIENT: Câmara Municipal de Arraiolos
- TOTAL COST: 1.000.000,00 €
- GROSS AREA: 1.200,00 m²
Saturday, May 31st, 2014
Article source: SANCHO-MADRIDEJOS ARCHITECTURE OFFICE
This project emerges from two individual, singular points which propose a very well defined field of work from the outset:
- On the one hand, this is a building for a previously established art collection from the 1950s-1970s, including the collection donated to the city by Spanish artist Eduardo Sempere. This collection consists of works by modern artists: Calder, Vasarely, Chillida, Julio González and Sempere himself.
Image Courtesy © SANCHO-MADRIDEJOS ARCHITECTURE OFFICE