Archive for the ‘Museum’ Category
Thursday, August 9th, 2012
Article source: Coates Design
The Bainbridge Island Museum of Art is not only the anchor tenant of the Island Gateway development, but it will soon become the cultural center of its community. Situated on a prominent corner of Bainbridge Island, Washington this building will provide an inspiring creative experience for residents and visitors alike with its collection of artworks from the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. The Bainbridge Island Museum of Art will also feature special travelling exhibits from all over the world.
- Architects: Coates Design Architects
- Project: Bainbridge Island Art Museum
- Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
- Software used: Revit for design documentation
Saturday, August 4th, 2012
Article source: Migliore + Servetto Architetti Associati
The 24th May, 2012 was the opening date of the first Savings Museum in Europe, of which Migliore + Servetto Architetti Associati studio has developed the permanent exhibition project. The museum is located in the center of Turin, and was made possible thanks to the initiative of Intesa Sanpaolo. The museum covers a surface of 600 sqm, at via San Francesco d’Assisi 8/A, inside the building that, in 1519, hosted the first city Monte di Pietà (Pawnshop) and is now a unique place in the world for its themes and its exhibition concept able to draw the public towards a complex subject in an innovative and interactive way.
Bookshop (Image Courtesy Ph. Ravani & Ficarra)
- Architects: Migliore + Servetto Architetti Associati
- Project: The Savings Museum
- Location: via S.Francesco d’Assisi, 8A, Turin, Italy
- Designer: Ico Migliore and Mara Servetto / Migliore+Servetto Architetti Associati
- Client : Gruppo Intesa Sanpaolo
- Built area: about 600 sqm
- Completion (date): May 2012
- Photographers: Ph. Ravani & Ficarra; Migliore+Servetto Architetti Associati
- Curators: Andrea Beltratti, Giovanna Paladino (Intesa Sanpaolo)
- Scientific Commitee: Andrea Beltratti, Anna Maria Lusardi, Paolo Sodini
- Permanent exhibition project: Migliore+Servetto Architetti Associati with Direzione Immobili e Acquisti – Servizio Tecnico, Intesa Sanpaolo
- 3d Animation and documentary film realization: Little Bull – Armando Testa Group
Friday, August 3rd, 2012
Article source: Marta Pastor Alvarez
The expansion project is built around a new courtyard, which houses the entrance to the building and provides support for “sound” connection with the old museum. The piece is inserted in the historic center offering a renewed image from the traditional imaginary. The connection of the volumes at the end of the courtyard and the inner spatial distribution, organizing servant and served spaces- enable a clear and easy travel throughout the building.
Radio Museum Expansion
- Architects: VAUMM architects + taperstudio
- Project: Radio Museum Expansion
- Location: Ponferrada, Spain
- Project Architect: VAUMM arkitekturak (Javier Ubillos Pernaut, Jon Muniategiandikoetxea, Tomás Valenciano Tamayo, Iñigo García Odiaga, and Marta Alvarez Pastor)+ Taperstudio (Jon Ander Azpiazu Juaristi, Unai Gomez Arriarán)
Wednesday, July 25th, 2012
Article source: Shiro Studio
In 2004 Future Systems won an international competition to design a new museum in Modena, Italy. Dedicated to motor racing legend and entrepreneur Enzo Ferrari (1898 – 1988), the museum comprises exhibition spaces within the early nineteenth century house where the motor racing giant was born and raised, and its adjoining workshop, as well as a separate, newly constructed exhibition building.
Image Courtesy Studio Cento29
- Architects: Shiro Studio
- Project: Enzo Ferrari Museum
- Location: Via Paolo Ferrari 85, Modena, Italy
- Client: Fondazione Casa Natale Enzo Ferrari
- Concept design: 2004
- Completion date: 2012
- Site area: 10,600 m²
- Gross floor area: 5,200 m² (4,200 m² Galleria/ 1,000 m² Ferrari House)
- Contract value: €14.200.000
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012
Article source: Perkins Eastman
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum—comprising three separate buildings at 91 Orchard Street (“Community Resource Building”), 93 Orchard Street (“Historic Building”), and 103 Orchard Street (“Public Building”)—takes literal and figurative cues from the architectural fabric and the vibrant history of the neighborhood to create a unique institution singularly dedicated to the understanding of the immigrant experience in the United States.
Day view (Image Courtesy Paul Rivera)
- Architects: Perkins Eastman
- Project: Lower East Side Tenement Museum Visitors Center
- Location: New York
Tuesday, July 10th, 2012
Article source: Arc2 Architecten
The Railway Museum of the Netherlands is situated at the rear of Maliebaan Station in the city centre of Utrecht. Considerable thought went into how the museum relates to its surroundings. The building consists of a large hall plus three exhibition rooms whose volumes project through the sloping roof. The outer wall is built in brickwork with window strips that are filled with glazing, grilles or sections of weather-boarding according to the interior functions. The structural frame resembles a rib cage, and is supported by columns which branch upwards like trees.
Image Courtesy Rob Hoekstra
- Architects: Arc2 Architecten
- Project: Railway Museum of the Netherlands
- Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Program: museum, restaurant, theatre, conference room
- Gross floor area: 12.000 m2
- Completion: 2005
- Photos: Rob Hoekstra
Thursday, July 5th, 2012
Article source: Michael Arellanes II
In the current proposal for a Contemporary Museum of Art in Buenos Aires, the inception is based on synergetic plays of volumes and interlink-interlacing manifolds of tectonic forms and panels that create a dynamic fluxion of mass, surfaces and lines. The articulations involved relay on formal masses in an arrangement or in a cohesive group that perform more than the sum of its parts. The museum is multi-layered and composed of radiant volumes and pieces which converge in a poly-operational, structural, and sensuous array of tectonics. The effect of multi-generative forms grouped and working together as a performativewhole is a diverse set of fluid and crystallized components strategically placed for an outcome of a dynamic structure, which valiancy plays a role in the visual and experiential impact of the viewer.
New Contemporary Art Museum
- Architects: Michael Arellanes II
- Project: New Contemporary Art Museum
- Location:Buenos Aires, Argentina
Monday, July 2nd, 2012
Article source: Schneider+Schumacher
The Frankfurt Städel Museum is about to undergo the largest expansion ever in the course of its nearly two-hundred-year history – with regard to its architecture and its collection alike. In the autumn of 2009, in conjunction with numerous important additions to the museum’s holdings, work commenced on the construction of an annex for the presentation of contemporary art. Designed by the architectural firm schneider+schumacher of Frankfurt, this extension will open its doors for the first time on 25 and 26 February with two Open House days and a big public celebration.
The extension of the Städel Museum View from outside
- Architects: Schneider+Schumacher
- Project: Städel Museum Extension
- Location: Frankfurt, Germany
- Client: Städelsches Kunstinstitut
- Architecture: schneider+schumacher
- Project Architects: Michael Schumacher, Till Schneider, Kai Otto
- Project Management: Miriam Baake
- Construction Management: Hans Eschmann
- Structural Planning: B+G Ingenieure / Bollinger und Grohmann GmbH, Manfred Grohmann, Jörg Schneider
- Software used: RhinoCeros (3D modelling Software) with Grasshopper (a plugin für Rhino) and Rhinoscript, the 2-D plans were drawn in Microstation.
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012
Article source: Architecture Is Fun, Inc.
Shifting the museum paradigm, the Young At Art Museum in Davie, Florida takes a sophisticated design approach to bridging the gap between an adult art museum and a children’s museum. The art museum for children features 22,000 SF of exhibit space designed by Architecture Is Fun, rich in branded environments, art installations and art-making opportunities.
Young At Art Museum
- Architects: Architecture Is Fun, Inc.
- Project: Young At Art Museum
- Location: Davie, Florida
- Software used: designed and developed in Vectorworks, with graphic support from the Adobe Creative Suite.
Tuesday, June 12th, 2012
Article source: SVArquitectura
The proposal aims to preserve and rehabilitate the old medieval Royal Palace and the chapel of San Pellegrino and to transform them into a part of the new museum. The building in between them has to be demolished and replaced by a new one which forms the keystone of the entire ensemble. The void left by the demolition of the building ‘Cal Pa i Figues’ will be partially occupied by the construction of this new volume, attached to the Gothic palace and of the same height as its tower. The unoccupied part of the void allows defining a passage along the chapel of San Pellegrino which gives access to the new main entrance. This solution reminds to corresponding situations in the neighborhood.
Wine Museum ‘Vinseum’
- Architects: SVArquitectura
- Project: Wine Museum ‘Vinseum’
- Location: Vilafranca del Penedès, Barcelona, Spain
- Client: Public
- Project: fase I 2007, fase II 2010
- Area: 9.400 m2
- Budget: 8.389.378 €
- Structure: GMK associats SL
- Installations: Proisotec enginyeria SLP
- Project management: Esteve Sitjà
- Technical architect: Esteve Sitjà
- Prize: First prize at restricted competition 2003