Archive for the ‘School’ Category
Tuesday, April 11th, 2017
Article source: MVRDV
The Danish folk high school is based on the Danish author and teacher N.F.S.Grundtvig (1872) idea of the folk high school – a school that in many ways differs from normal high schools, for example, the school has no curriculum and no exams, and both students and teachers are living at the school during a course. Further are the folk high schools often focused on creative and humanistic topics and the common life at the school. Roskilde Festival Folk High School is the first newly-established and built folk high school of its kind in Denmark in 45 years, based on the ideals of the Roskilde festival. The ideals and values are very much influenced by the volunteer engagement, the humanistic focus and creative power, that every year forms and characterise the event and the community of Roskilde festival.
The school is a first if its kind in Denmark and maintains its original industrial concrete factory shell , Image Courtesy © Christopher Malheiros Paris
- Architects: MVRDV and COBE
- Project: Roskilde Festival Folk High School
- Location: Roskilde, Denmark
- Photography: Christopher Malheiros Paris (more…)
Wednesday, April 5th, 2017
Article source: murmuro
Colégio dos Plátanos is a school in Sintra which educates children from the age of 3 to 14; the project consists of the expansion and reorganization of the school. Having acquired a set of low quality buildings east of the existing school, the client intended to demolish them and expand the school complex eastwards, adding a series of new classrooms, complementary spaces and sport facilities. During the design phase the client changed course and decided to maintain the east buildings and commissioned a new construction of smaller scale, connecting the east and west buildings that had to be built in two phases, allowing for a reduced investment since our country was facing an economic crisis and on the verge of the troika intervention (IMF, EC, ECB). This decision also required the development of an intermediate structural solution and controlled demolitions in order not to interrupt the daily school operation; only with the conclusion of the second phase will the entire complex be fully articulated.
Northern facade overall view – phase 1, Image Courtesy © Pedro Nuno Pacheco
- Architects: murmuro
- Project: Colégio dos plátanos
- Location: Sintra
- Photography: Pedro Nuno Pacheco
- Program: Education – Expansion
- Size: 1850 m2
- Client: Colégio dos Plátanos
- Team: João Caldas, Rita Breda, Tiago Araújo, Pedro Rodrigues, Francisco Calheiros (architecture); Inês Oliveira (design); Pedro Pacheco (photograhy); TDP Engenharia (engeneering
- Size: 1850 m2
Sunday, April 2nd, 2017
Article source: ADEPT
Vargo Nielsen Palle, ADEPT, and Rolvung og Brøndsted Arkitekter in collaboration with engineering companies Tri-Consult and Steensen Varming have won the international competition for the first newly built architecture school in Denmark. They were in competition with BIG, Sanaa, and Lacaton & Vassal, among others. The jury cites the entry’s playful combination of flexible studio space, specific functions, and public spaces which together create a strong connection to Godsbanearealerne.
Image Courtesy © ADEPT
- Architects: ADEPT
- Project: Newly Built Architecture School
- Location: Denmark
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017
Article source: Arq. Jaime Eduardo Cabal Mejía + Arq. Jorge Emilio Buitrago Gutiérrez
This project is located in San Pedro de Urabá, a small town that belongs to a region in the northwest side of Antioquia and is 425 km from the city of Medellín, the capital. This town has been scarred due to violets conflicts, at first, related to the illegal extraction of their natural resources, and then related to the creation of illegal armed groups unleashed a wave of violence, leaving thousands of victims.
Image Courtesy © Sergio Gómez
- Architects: Arq. Jaime Eduardo Cabal Mejía + Arq. Jorge Emilio Buitrago Gutiérrez
- Project: Educational Park for Reconciliation
- Location: San Pedro de Urabá, Antioquia, Colombia
- Photography: Sergio Gómez
- Software used: Autocad, SketchUp
- Other Participants: Architect Teresa Tognetti Bottone, Arch. Carlos Andrés Palacio Mejía
- Constructed area(m2): 775m2
- Year: 2016
Tuesday, March 21st, 2017
Article source: architecten|en|en
A school building is a special building in a little village, because almost all the inhabitants have spent an important part of their life there.
This means that, as an architect, you can give children something for the rest of their lives, because everbody remembers his or hers old school building.
“The building as an adventure” was therefor the starting point of the design.
Image Courtesy © BASE Photography
- Architects: architecten|en|en
- Project: Primary School Aarle-Rixtel
- Location: Laarbeek, Holland
- Photography: BASE Photography
- Client: Municipality of Laarbeek
- Gross Floor Area: 2585 m² (new) 430 m² (renovation)
- Design: 2011
- Year of Use: 2016
Tuesday, March 14th, 2017
Article source: Arhitektura Jure Kotnik
New TimeShare Kindergarten is located in the central area of small Slovenian village settlement Podgorje. The building is an extension of an existing school and hosts four playrooms and a classroom for first graders. The kindergarten’s special feature is its open plan approach with unified play space, which covers as much as 86% of the entire kindergarten and can be closed off if necessary. Children can move inside the kindergarten without restrictions, according to the so-called timeshare principle. Movement is even encouraged by a series of elements like sliding doors between playrooms, accordion doors of the central common room, and the road meandering between playrooms, which visually connects different spaces and invites children to follow it (walk, run, ride their kick scooter or bike). Even special road signs have been designed, encouraging children to mimic movements of a particular animal (butterfly, crab, lizard, etc.), and go either fast (cheetah) or slow (snail).
Image Courtesy © Janez Marolt Photography
- Architects: Arhitektura Jure Kotnik (Jure Kotnik, Andrej Kotnik)
- Project: Podgorje TimeShare Kindergarten and School
- Location: Podgorje pri Slovenj Gradcu, Slovenia
- Photography: Janez Marolt Photography
- Client: City of Slovenj Gradec, Gozdno gospodarstvo Slovenj Gradec
- Constructions: CBD, d.o.o, Dr. Bruno Dujić
- HVAC: FIMA, d.o.o
- Electrical installations: EPNS d.o.o, Danilo Smolar
- Landscape design: Arhitektura Jure Kotnik, Lesoteka projektiva d.o.o.
- Surveillance: Manja Podpečan
- Client coordination: Natalija Knez
- Energy efficiency: EUTRIP d.o.o.
- Timber construction: Lesoteka hiše d.o.o.
- Construction, and concrete works: Gradbeništvo Kuster, d.o.o.
Tuesday, March 14th, 2017
Article source: Daniel Valle Architects
The project focuses on three main strategies to address the school’s requirements:
1. Maximize space. The space was not properly used since the corridor that connects the main door with the other floors was only used sporadically.
2. Equal size. The two classrooms were very different in form and size due to the plan’s layout. The target was to propose a new configuration that gives equal spaces for both.
3. Sharing activities. The new school’s philosophy has to do with sharing spaces to study and providing diverse number of possibilities to educators to perform new pedagogical practices. The two rooms in the existing condition were duplicating spaces for playing, studying, meeting, sharing, etc.
Image Courtesy © Lee Namsun
- Architects: Daniel Valle Architects
- Project: DSSI Elementary School Renovation
- Location: Seoul, South Korea
- Photography: Lee Namsun
- Credits: Daniel Valle, Jiwon Hur, Sunmin Lee, Irene R Vara, Iago Blanco
- Size: 150 m2
- Year: 2016
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017
Article source: ULMA Architectural Solutions
ULMA Architectural Solutions has supplied drainage channels to the Higher Technical School of Architecture in Granada. The new school was previously the Military Hospital, located in the Realejo district close to the Alhambra. The architect was Victor López Cotelo, and the work was selected for the FAD Architecture Awards 2016.
Image Courtesy © ULMA Architectural Solutions
- Architects: ULMA Architectural Solutions
- Project: Ulma Drainage Channels in Granada School Of Architecture
- Location: Granada, Spain
- Products used: U200K with FNX200KCCM grille and U150K with FNX150KCCM grille
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017
Article source: Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten
The Ecole Nationale Superieure d’Art, an art school in Nancy, forms the northern end of the new university campus ARTEM (ARt, TEchnology, Management), the largest new university complex in France, and occupies a central position between the city and the new campus premises. It accommodates all the facilities needed for the three educational fields of art, design and communication, such as studios, workshops and lecture halls, including the administration and spacious exhibition areas. Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten and Zoméno Architects won the competition in November 2010.
Image Courtesy © Bruno Klomfar
- Architects: Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten (Christian Zoméno)
- Project: Art school ENSA Nancy
- Location: F-54000 Nancy, 84 rue Blandan, France
- Photography: Bruno Klomfar
- Client: City of Nancy
- Project management: Andreas Laimer (DUA) Dimitri Grzanka (AACZ)
- Cost planning: H. Bessère, Toul
- Acoustics: Venathec, Vandoevre-lès-Nancy
- Capacity: 320 students
- Gross Floor Area: 8,590 m²
- Competition: 2010 / 1. Price
- Construction: 2013-2016