Archive for the ‘School’ Category
Friday, June 1st, 2012
Article source: LR Architectes
The existing school is located along the main road in the heart of a Belgian village called Barvaux-Condroz, The school is in direct dialogue with the church. It has a widely open view at the back and an open area on the east side of the plot.
The school expansion and renovation project includes the following:
– On the existing building, the south orientation of the rear façade opens on the playground and the landscape, whereas the north façade is relatively closed.
– The position of the entrance to the school is a fundamental question. The present location of the pedestrian crossing and the analysis of safe access to the car park for parents led us to exploit the free zone on the east gable.
Image Courtesy m. van coile
- Architects: LR Architectes
- Project: School Barvaux-Condroz
- Location: Barvaux-Condroz, Belgium
- Client: Local administration
- Date: 2008-2011
- Status: Built
- Stability: bureau Delvaux
- Technics: solyremi
- Surface: 600 m²
- Photo credit: m. van coile
Wednesday, May 30th, 2012
Article source: Mecanoo architecten
The district of Sterrenburg is located on the south side of Dordrecht and was largely built during the 1960s and 1970s. It is a sizable district with 21,000 residents and a generous share of parks, gardens and other green areas; it is also very close to the historical natural conservancy areas on the ‘Island’ of Dordrecht. The new building for KIEM will be built on the northern edge of the area on the De Sitterstraat. The school’s joint name covers five separate branches of education, care and medical science. De Vlij is a ‘Mytyl’ school for children with a physical disability or multiple disabilities, the Blije Gaarde, a school for children with serious learning issues and the Dordtse Buitenschool for children with long-term illnesses.
- Architects: Mecanoo architecten
- Project: KIEM onderwijs met zorg
- Location: Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- Design: 2010-2011
- Execution: 2011-2013
- Client: SPON, Dordrecht
- Project management: ICS Adviseurs, Amsterdam
- Structural engineer: JVZ Raadgevend Ingenieursburo bv, Deventer
- Mechanical engineer: DHV, Den Haag
- Electrical engineer: DHV, Den Haag
- Building costs consultant: Bremen Bouwadviseurs b.v., Rotterdam
- Program: 5,322 m² school for separate branches of education (multiple disabilities, long-term illnesses and learning issues), care and medical science, including preschool and after-school activities and sports facilities.
Thursday, May 24th, 2012
Article source: Daniel Bonilla Arquitectos
The High School building completes the group of classroom-buildings; therefore it resumes the usual typology of the existing buildings, a central open space and peripheral classrooms. It’s also chosen to use brick walls, the prevailing material in the school. The particular variation consists in developing a sinuous atrium with an internal garden. The exterior is defined by two closed sides facing the large green extensions, and by two glass facades with vertical sun shields where the classrooms operate.
Image Courtesy Rodrigo Dávila
- Architects: Daniel Bonilla Arquitectos
- Project: High School Classroom Building – Colegio Los Nogales
- Location: Bogotá, Colombia
- Client: Corporación colegio Los Nogales
- Area: 2.286 m2
- Date of construction: Noviembre 2009 – Agosto 2010
- Photographer: Rodrigo Dávila
- Design team: Daniel Bonilla, Andres Gutierrez , Melissa Betancourt, Juan Felipe Herrera, + Oficina de Proyectos Arquitectónicos /OPA
Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Article source: SousaSantos
The new building is rooted in the slope between the two sports fields of the school. In the south end of the building will be posicioned the public program, the library and the amphitheater enhancing the relationship of the school campus with the urban fabric of the city.
Night View (Images Courtesy João Morgado)
- Architect: SousaSantos
- Name of project: Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro Secondary School
- Location: Caldas da Rainha, Portugal
- Client: Parque Escolar
- Built: 2008
- Construction: 2010
- Architecture: Jorge Sousa Santos, Bruno Ferraz, Patricia Costa, Ismael Prata, Sofia Oliveira, Vítor Ribeiro
- Photographer: João Morgado
Saturday, May 5th, 2012
Article source: OPEN Architecture
If there is one thing that we have to put above all other issues for the 21st century, that is probably the vulnerability of nature. Ancient Chinese philosophy had always centered on the harmony between people and nature. In the decades to come, and amidst all the looming environmental crisis, it is urgent to bring the ancient philosophy back to the core of our education, and put it in the context of new challenges ahead. With this in mind, OPEN has designed a new kind of school system that provides a balanced and joyful learning environment integrated with farms and gardens.
- Architects:OPEN Architecture
- Project: Garden School
- Location: Changyang, Fangshan District, Beijing
- Design Year: 2010 – 2012
- Status: Architectural Design
- Client: Vanke + Cofco
- Program: 36-class Junior and Senior high school, classrooms, auditorium, gym, dining hall, dormitory and sport facilities
- Building Area: 51,000 m²
- Land Area: 45,332 m²
- Local Design Institute: Beijing Institute of Architectural Design
- Sustainaiblity Consultant: Tsinghua Building Energy Research Center
Sunday, April 29th, 2012
Article source: PLUSARQUITECTURA (Sergio Aguilar) & Luis Mira, architects
The Junior School building corresponds to the Phase 1 of the Blouberg International School in Cape Town. The site is located into a residential area towards the north side of the city centre, where the climate transits from the lush and rainy part of the city towards the drier Atlantic ocean’s west coast.
Street View (Images Courtesy Wieland Gleich)
- Architects: PLUSARQUITECTURA (Sergio Aguilar) & Luis Mira, architects
- Name of Project: Blouberg International School
- Location: Blouberg, Cape Town, South Africa
- Project Area: 900 sqm (building) – 2000 sqm (Civil works, entrance & walkways)
- Completion: 2011
- Photographs: Wieland Gleich
- Software used: ArchiCAD
Thursday, April 26th, 2012
Article source: N+B Architectes
The Secondary School of Morières-lès-Avignon is part of the landscape around the city. It is located near the A7 motorway and is topped by a way station. It consists of different entities built for different scales and functions of the program. Thus, the topography of the place is preserved, the gradients are used to create breaks, places to live. This work of the ground allows the installation and organization of the different buildings and spaces. Each entity is part of the landscape.
Night View (Images Courtesy Paul kozlowski)
- Architect: N+B Architectes
- Name of Project: morieres les Avignon
- Location: Montpellier, France
- Project manager: Jacques BRION & Elodie NOURRIGAT (N+B architectes)
- Client: Conseil Général du Vaucluse
- Delegated client: Citadis
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012
Article source: Patkau Architects
Seabird Island is a large area of delta land in the Fraser River, seventy-five miles east of the Pacific Ocean. It is the home of the Seabird Island Band, a Coastal Salish community. Mountains of the Coastal Range tower over the river valley on all sides. The interior of the island is a large open field, which is used for agriculture. Houses ring the lightly wooded perimeter. At the downstream end of the island are community buildings loosely organized in a U around a grassed common space that is open to the north.
Image Courtesy James Dow
- Architect: Patkau Architects
- Name of Project: Seabird Island School
- Location: Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada
- Completion: 1988–1991
- Owner/ Client: Seabird Island Band
- Software used: None. Hand drafting and physical models only
Thursday, April 19th, 2012
Article source: C+D Architecture, Nicolas CREGUT & Laurent DUPORT
This project takes place in Montpellier, south of France. It concerns the realization of a 30 000 square meter technical secondary school.
A site at the border of the rural area.
The site proposed for this competition takes place to the South entry of Montpellier, in a suburb area.
It‘s located at the articulation of a great agricultural place composed of olive trees and grapevines and a urbanized place in expansion included real estate and commercial equipments. The shape of the site is like a carpenter’s square. The particularity of this place is that there is an XVIII’s century house at the centre and a highway axis closed to the north border of the plot. The secondary school has to include all kind of study of the secondary school and also it has to propose car, mechanical and service sector. The program is ambitious and the future secondary school must receive a capacity of 1500 pupils in 30 000 square meter.
- Architect: C+D Architecture, Nicolas CREGUT & Laurent DUPORT
- Name of Project: Pierre Mendès France Secondary school
- Location: Montpellier, France
- Members and Collaborators: ECMO(Economist), EREN(Engineer), OTCE(Engineer), Carrés Verts(Landscape designer)
- Construction company: EIFFAGE
- Client: Région Languedoc-Roussillon
- Software used: AUTOCAD and ALLPLAN
Wednesday, April 11th, 2012
Article source: José Neves
The existing Marquesa de Alorna School, designed by architect José Sobral Blanco in 1956, was one of the 50 schools built in Portugal according to the type promoted by the Construction Board for Secondary and Technical Education in the 1950’s. Like many of these schools, it had two main bodies, one containing the academic and administrative areas, the other containing the gym and cafeteria. The two bodies were linked by the main atrium of the school and the covered playground. In this instance, the set defined a patio surrounded by an amphitheatre-shaped slope with woods, the result from an excavation on the hillside to build the original school. The beauty of the patio has since been disfigured, as the covered playground was closed, cutting the visual relationship between the patio and the city, and as the slope was largely destroyed in order to allow the construction of a parking building owned by a bank.
View from the school courtyard from the new covered playground (Images Courtesy Laura Castro Caldas & Paulo Cintra)
- Architect: José Neves
- Name of Project: Marquesa de Alorna School
- Location: Lisbon, Portugal
- Photographs: Laura Castro Caldas & Paulo Cintra; João Dias
- Client: Parque Escolar
- Project year: 2007-2008
- Software used: Autodesk AutoCAD 2008/2009