Archive for the ‘Theater’ Category
Friday, April 6th, 2018
Article source: Dominique Coulon & associés
Freyming-Merlebach is a town with a substantial industrial past, in a part of Lorraine that developed in the 19th century, driven by the coalmining industry.
Since the closure of the mines in the 1990s, this part of north-eastern France has seen a sharp increase in unemployment, and culture is seen as one possibility for resolving the accompanying social and economic difficulties in the town, as has been the case in the neighbouring Ruhr region. The historic theatre in Freyming-Merlebach had deteriorated, and a number of cracks appeared as the result of disused underground tunnels. The old 500-seat auditorium needed to be replaced, and it had also become too small.
Image Courtesy © Eugeni Pons
- Architects: Dominique Coulon & associés
- Project: Théodore Gouvy Theatre
- Location: 1 Place des Alliés, 57800, Freyming-Merlebach, France
- Photography: Eugeni Pons, David Romero-Uzeda, Thibaut Muller
- Client: Communauté de communes Freyming-Merlebach
- Construction Supervision: Olivier Nicollas
- Acoustic: Euro Sound Project
- Scenographer: Changement à vue
- Structural Engineering: Batiserf
- Electrical Engineer: BET G. Jost
- Structural Engineering: Batiserf
- Budget: 7 700 000 €
- Area: SHON 2850 m2
Monday, February 19th, 2018
Article source: LMN Architects
The Federal Way Performing Arts and Event Center (PAEC) puts cultural arts at the heart of urban vitality, establishing a core identity and focal point for a rapidly growing, richly diverse community. This multi-functional 46,013-square-foot center and adjacent civic park are positioned to catalyze ongoing development and investment in the city for years to come, ensuring Federal Way’s vibrant future in the region. The PAEC opened to the community on August 19.
Image Courtesy © Jeremy Bittermann
- Architects: LMN Architects
- Project: Federal Way Performing Arts and Event Center (PAEC)
- Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
- Software used: Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper
- Client: City of federal way
- Owner’s representative: Lorax partners
- General contractor: Garco construction
- Theater and audiovisual consulting: The shalleck collaborative
- Acoustical consulting: Jaffe holden
Wednesday, January 24th, 2018
Article source: ONG&ONG
Nested in the heart of Bukit Merah, Gateway Theatre is a multi-performance venue where user’ experience and social participation are priorities. The front façade of the theatre opens up to the streets of Bukit Merah allowing passers-by and residents to peer into the building, giving it a sense of porosity and openness.
Image Courtesy © ONG&ONG
- Architects: ONG&ONG
- Project: Gateway Theatre
- Location: Singapore
- Project Directors: Ashvinkumar Kantilal & Andrew Lee
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering: Rankine & Hill
- Cost: S$45,000,000.00
- GFA: 4995.4m2
- Site Area: 1513.7m2
- Completion: 2016
Thursday, January 4th, 2018
Article source: Atelier Paul Laurendeau
The project is the result of an open and anonymous architectural competition to design a new 10,000 seat outdoor summer amphitheater for the city of Trois-Rivières, Quebec.
The competition challenged architects to propose a landmark design of an international scope, comparable to the Sydney Opera House fronting the water.
Image Courtesy © Adrien Williams
- Architects: Atelier Paul Laurendeau
- Project: Amphithéâtre Cogeco
- Location: 100 Avenue des Draveurs Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada
- Photography: Adrien Williams, Marc Gibert
- Client: City of Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada
- Executive architect: Paul Laurendeau | François Beauchesne | architectes en consortium (with: Boris Morin-Defoy, Renée-Claude Langlois, Erwan Le Diraison, Gabriel Ostiguy, Claude de Passillé, Robert Mailhot, Étienne Paradis, Maxime Gervais, Joannie Desrochers, Nathalie Lord)
- Theater consultant for the architect: Guy Simard
- Theater consultant for the client: Trizart Alliance
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017
Article source: Paulo Brazil Arquitetura
The architectonic project for the Klabin Research, Development and Innovation Center, installed near to the main entrance of Vila Harmonia, Telêmaco Borba, PR, has as guide line, the integration of the architecural ensemble to the surrounding landscape, a quite and pleasant space, especially chosen by the Managers Fabio Schvartsman and Francisco Cesar Razzolini. The area is right in the middle of the generous woods that define the compact green belt around the Unity Klabin Monte Alegre, defined and opened in the forties (1940), for the production of quality paper in total respect to the evironment.
Image Courtesy © Pedro Kok
- Architects: Paulo Brazil Arquitetura
- Project: P&D+I KLABIN Center
- Location: Monte Alegre, Telêmaco Borba, Paraná State, Brazil
- Photography: Pedro Kok
- Colaborators Architects: Luiza Garry Leptich, Carlos Eduardo Valbusa, Elisa Relva Basso, Marco Antônio D’Delia, Ricardo Marmorato, Laís Oliveira Xavier, Bianca Dunder.
- Area: 15.000m2
- Main Building: 3.006m2
- Beginning: September, 2015
- Conclusion: May, 2017
Monday, November 6th, 2017
Article source: C. F. Møller Architects
Odeon gives the people of Funen an international-class theatre and concert venue. Since 1 March, the 32,000 m² cultural venue has included theatre, concerts, art exhibitions, communal meals and public events. This will be celebrated enthusiastically during the next week, when more than 100 events will take place at Odeon.
Image Courtesy © Kirstine Mengel
- Architects: C. F. Møller Architects
- Project: Odense Music and Theatre
- Location: H. C. Andersen Quarter, Odense, Denmark
- Photography: Kirstine Mengel, S++ren Lykke B+, Jens Wognsen
- Client/PFI Group: Odense Municipality (initiators and users), The Carl Nielsen Academy of Music (users), C. Andersen Congres Centre A/S (owner, operator and user)
- Engineers: COWI A/S and Anders Chr. Gade (acoustics)
- Collaborators: Maths Nystrøm (theatre technics), Focus Advokater I/S (legal advice), Nykredit (finances)
- Size: 18500 m2
Friday, November 3rd, 2017
Article source: JHK Architecten
Commissioned by Maastricht City Council, JHK Architecten, working together with Verlaan & Bouwstra architecten, has transformed the former electric power station and boiler houses of the Sphinx factory in Maastricht. After extensive restoration and renovation, the listed power station has now become the new accommodation for the Maastricht cinema Lumière.
Image Courtesy © Marcel van der Burg
- Architects: JHK Architecten
- Project: Lumière Cinema
- Location: Bassin 88, 6211 AK Maastricht, the Netherlands
- Photography: Marcel van der Burg, Cor Bouwstra
- Client: Gemeente Maastricht
- Main contractor: LAUDY Bouw & Ontwikkeling structural engineer: Arcadis building services
- Adviser: Deerns building physics adviser: DPA Cauberg-Huygen
- Interior design restaurant and entrance: Dorine de Vos and Rosie Stapel
- Building costs: Kieft Partners bouwadvies
- Gross floor area: circa 3,750 m²
- Project start: 2012
- Completion: 2016
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017
Article source: v2com
In a town hall meeting held last month, the Stratford Festival unveiled Hariri Pontarini Architects’ international competition winning design for the proposed new Tom Patterson Theatre, which it hopes to build over the coming year.
The project began with a “dream to build a new facility that will be a jewel on the Avon, and that will rival some of the most beautiful theatres in the world,” said Artistic Director Antoni Cimolino.
Image Courtesy © Hariri Pontarini Architects
Friday, September 1st, 2017
Article source: Studio Gang
Looking to enhance the student experience and remediate the nearby riverfront, Beloit College partnered with Studio Gang to reimagine a former coal-burning power plant as a student union centered on recreation and wellness.
Nestled between the College’s campus and the Rock River, the Powerhouse will feature a 10,000-sf fitness center and 17,000-sf recreational gym, including a 3-lane track and 8- lane competition pool, as well as spaces for conversation, collaboration, and study. Additional amenities include a coffee shop, student lounges, club rooms, conference center, and a lecture hall/theater.
Image Courtesy © Studio Gang
- Architects: Studio Gang
- Project: BELOIT COLLEGE POWERHOUSE
- Location: Beloit, Wisconsin USA
- Client: Beloit College
- Status: Under construction
- Sustainability: Targeting LEED Gold
- Size: 120,000 sf
Sunday, July 16th, 2017
Article source: The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
Zhengzhou Grand Theater, being the east part of city axis, is located in Zhengzhou Culture District as the best palace of performing arts in the Central Plains, will highlight the art of movement, and manifest the axis status of Zhengzhou in the Chinese culture with an architectural image unique to the Central Plains.
The architectural design concept of this project is: Yellow River Raving, A Dragon Wakes Up in Central China.
Image Courtesy © The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
- Architects: The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
- Project: Zhengzhou Grand Theater
- Location: Zhengzhou Culture District, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, China
- Principle architect: Hongyuan Mei
- Scale: Around124, 000m²
- Total land area: 36219m²
- Total construction area: 96,941m²
- Volume rate: 1.48
- Design period: June 2015 to February 2017
- Completion: End of 2019
- Project status: Under construction