Archive for the ‘Theater’ Category
Friday, November 3rd, 2017
Article source: JHK Architecten
Commissioned by Maastricht City Council, JHK Architecten, working together with Verlaan & Bouwstra architecten, has transformed the former electric power station and boiler houses of the Sphinx factory in Maastricht. After extensive restoration and renovation, the listed power station has now become the new accommodation for the Maastricht cinema Lumière.
Image Courtesy © Marcel van der Burg
- Architects: JHK Architecten
- Project: Lumière Cinema
- Location: Bassin 88, 6211 AK Maastricht, the Netherlands
- Photography: Marcel van der Burg, Cor Bouwstra
- Client: Gemeente Maastricht
- Main contractor: LAUDY Bouw & Ontwikkeling structural engineer: Arcadis building services
- Adviser: Deerns building physics adviser: DPA Cauberg-Huygen
- Interior design restaurant and entrance: Dorine de Vos and Rosie Stapel
- Building costs: Kieft Partners bouwadvies
- Gross floor area: circa 3,750 m²
- Project start: 2012
- Completion: 2016
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017
Article source: v2com
In a town hall meeting held last month, the Stratford Festival unveiled Hariri Pontarini Architects’ international competition winning design for the proposed new Tom Patterson Theatre, which it hopes to build over the coming year.
The project began with a “dream to build a new facility that will be a jewel on the Avon, and that will rival some of the most beautiful theatres in the world,” said Artistic Director Antoni Cimolino.
Image Courtesy © Hariri Pontarini Architects
Friday, September 1st, 2017
Article source: Studio Gang
Looking to enhance the student experience and remediate the nearby riverfront, Beloit College partnered with Studio Gang to reimagine a former coal-burning power plant as a student union centered on recreation and wellness.
Nestled between the College’s campus and the Rock River, the Powerhouse will feature a 10,000-sf fitness center and 17,000-sf recreational gym, including a 3-lane track and 8- lane competition pool, as well as spaces for conversation, collaboration, and study. Additional amenities include a coffee shop, student lounges, club rooms, conference center, and a lecture hall/theater.
Image Courtesy © Studio Gang
- Architects: Studio Gang
- Project: BELOIT COLLEGE POWERHOUSE
- Location: Beloit, Wisconsin USA
- Client: Beloit College
- Status: Under construction
- Sustainability: Targeting LEED Gold
- Size: 120,000 sf
Sunday, July 16th, 2017
Article source: The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
Zhengzhou Grand Theater, being the east part of city axis, is located in Zhengzhou Culture District as the best palace of performing arts in the Central Plains, will highlight the art of movement, and manifest the axis status of Zhengzhou in the Chinese culture with an architectural image unique to the Central Plains.
The architectural design concept of this project is: Yellow River Raving, A Dragon Wakes Up in Central China.
Image Courtesy © The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
- Architects: The Architectural Design and Research Institute of Harbin Institute of Technology
- Project: Zhengzhou Grand Theater
- Location: Zhengzhou Culture District, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, China
- Principle architect: Hongyuan Mei
- Scale: Around124, 000m²
- Total land area: 36219m²
- Total construction area: 96,941m²
- Volume rate: 1.48
- Design period: June 2015 to February 2017
- Completion: End of 2019
- Project status: Under construction
Sunday, July 9th, 2017
Article source: Wowhaus
To transform the elongated building of the former cinema into a contemporary theatrical platform in which any part – be it the hall, foyer or staircase – can be used by a stage director while simultaneously conforming to the demands involved in restoration of an architecturally significant building as well as the needs of modern technology, which are often mutually exclusive.
The main principle of the «Electrotheatre» concept is the transformability of spaces and the openness of internal processes. Mobile barriers divide the technical and public zones, and the functions of these zones can be interchangeable.
main photo, Image Courtesy © Ilya Ivanov
- Architects: Wowhaus
- Project: Electrotheatre Stanislavsky
- Location: 23 Tverskaya Street, Moscow, Russia
- Photography: Ilya Ivanov
- Workshop Heads: Dmitry Likin, Oleg Shapiro
- Chief Project Architect: Edward Rusenko
- Senior Architect: Mikhail Kozlov
- Author: Nina Smirnova
- Architects: Maria Gulida, Viktoria Kudryavtseva, Olga Lebedeva, Anastasia Maslova, Darya Melnik, Maria Panova, Anna Proshkuratova, Olga Rokal, Alexandra Chertkova, Anna Rodionova, Darya Mozhaeva
- Structural engineer: Sergei Belugin
- Chief Project Engineer: Irina Ishunina
- Design Period: 2013–2014
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017
Article source: WSDG-Walters Storyk Design Group
A recently completed luxury home in BA’s upscale Cañuelas suburb, reflects the advantages of engaging a single creative entity to develop the entire unified interior design for a new family home. As co-partners in WSDG -Walters-Storyk Design Group, a leading international architectural, acoustics and system design firm, Silvia and Sergio Molho benefit from years of experience in developing high-end professional audio video production studios and home theaters. As friends of the client, they had the additional advantage of deep insights into the homeowners’ aesthetic tastes.
Casa Fontela Ext w pool, Image Courtesy © Alejandro Zold
- Acoustic Consultants: WSDG-Walters Storyk Design Group
- Project: A (Media) Full House For Casa Fontela
- Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Photography: Alejandro Zold
Sunday, June 18th, 2017
Article source: STUDIO UP d.o.o.
Hotel Amarin sits in a thick pine forest, at the eastern edge of the „Monsena-Valdaliso“ tourist zone. From its peninsula, it looks out and curves toward Rovinj, Venice, distant seas horizons and the tiny island of Figarola.
Image Courtesy © Robert Leš
- Architects: STUDIO UP d.o.o.
- Project: Hotel Amarin
- Location: Rovinj , Val de Lesso 5, Croatia
- Photography: Robert Leš
- Software used: Autocad
- Lead Architects: Lea Pelivan, Toma Plejić
- Main Contractor: Kamgrad d.o.o.
- Client: Maistra d.d.
- Project Team: Izvor Simonović-Majcan, Iva Martinis, Jelena Martić, Tin Pelivan, Domagoj Bolanča, Nikola Brlek, Krešimir Renić, Stanislava Odrljin, Marina Zajec, Ana Pall
Friday, June 9th, 2017
Article source: Bennetts Associates
The 2½ years construction project to transform Chester’s Art Deco Odeon cinema into an international cultural centre has reached its completion on time and on budget, opening to the public on Thursday 11 May 2017.
Storyhouse brings a theatre and cinema back to Chester after a decade long absence with collaboration and partnership at the very heart of its establishment.
Image Courtesy © Peter Cook
- Architects: Bennetts Associates
- Project: Storyhouse
- Location: Chester, England
- Photography: Peter Cook
- Client: Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Main Contractor: Kier
- Theatre Consultant: Charcoalblue
Sunday, June 4th, 2017
Article source: Studio Gang
Organized as a village-like cluster of distinct volumes that surround a central hub, the building’s form resonates with the character of Glencoe’s downtown. The theater’s two performance spaces—a main stage and a smaller black box venue—employ innovative staging and seating configurations to maximize the sense of intimacy between actors and audience and to enhance the immersive experience of Writers’ productions.
Image Courtesy © Hedrich Blessing
- Architects: Studio Gang
- Project: Writers Theatre
- Location: Glencoe, Illinois, USA
- Photography: Hedrich Blessing
- Client: Writers Theatre
Friday, May 26th, 2017
Article source: Jestico + Whiles
Jestico + Whiles’ scheme for a creative student arts hub and community theatre, in the former Southwark Town Hall, regenerates the site as a mixed-use arts based building, including the new Theatre Peckham and accommodation for Goldsmiths College students.
Image Courtesy © Jestico + Whiles
- Architects: Jestico + Whiles
- Project: Southwark Town Hall + Theatre Peckham
- Location: London, England