Archive for the ‘University Building’ Category
Tuesday, December 20th, 2011
Article source: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
The St. Pölten Technology Center will accommodate two functions: the training workshops of WIFI Lower Austria and the New Design University, St. Pölten. The central idea that informs our proposal is to bring together these two main functions in one building. For one thing, this keeps valuable development areas free for other uses, and for another, it creates an opportunity for interdisciplinary communication between different users.
- Architect: AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT GmbH
- Name of Project: Training workshops + New Design University
- Location: St. Pölten, Austria
- Client: Wirtschaftskammer Niederösterreich
- Competition: 2011
- Start of construction: 2012
- Completion: 2013
- Gross floor area: 12.815m²
- Planning: AllesWirdGut + FCP
Friday, December 16th, 2011
Article source: Salmela Architect
This small university classroom building is located above a pond on a 55 acre nature reserve. The site has hiking trails through old growth hard woods frequented by the university students as well as the public. We were charged with designing a facility to serve eight different departments for the nature portions of their teaching and study.
Bagley Classroom Building - Photo by Paul Crosby
- Architects: Salmela Architect
- Project: Bagley Classroom Building
- Location: Duluth, Minnesota
- Photographer: Paul Crosby
- Software used: Design was hand drawn and documents were produced in AutoCAD
Thursday, December 15th, 2011
Article source: Henning Larsen Architects
More projects by Henning Larsen Architects
The Prince Naif Centre for Health Science Research is a new building designed for the largest university in Saudi Arabia, King Saud University, situated in the capital of Riyadh. The new Centre of 23,800 m2 comprises world-class research facilities, including facilities for research in cancer, molecular biology, genetics, infectious diseases and several other medical disciplines.
- Architect: Henning Larsen Architects
- Name of Project: Prince Naif Centre for Health Science Research
- Location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Client: King Saud University
- Gross floor area: 23,800 m2
- Year of construction: 2011 – 2012
- Type of assignment: Commission
- Collaboration: NNE Pharmaplan (labs, MEP), Buro Happold (structure, civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, acoustics, fire, security, sustainability, waste management), Geoffrey Barnett Associates (quantity surveyors)
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011
Article source: Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
Soka Performing Arts Center and Academic Building Achieve LEED Gold Certification
Built by McCarthy Building Companies and designed by Zimmer Gunsul Frasca, the $73 million university project in Orange County utilizes a green roof and solar panels among other environmentally conscious features.
Soka University of America’s new Soka Performing Arts Center and Academic Building project, which opened in September 2011, recently received Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). The Soka Performing Arts Center, which is located on 1.9 acres of the Soka University campus in AlisoViejo, serves as a venue in South Orange County for concerts, theater productions, lectures and assemblies, furthering Soka University’s role as a cultural center and community gathering place.
- Architect: Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
- Name of Project: Soka Performing Arts Center and Academic Building
- Location: Orange County, California
- Built by: McCarthy Building Companies
- Sofwtare used: Autodesk Navisworks Soka Performing Arts Center and Academic Building project. BIM modeling review was utilized for the MEP systems and the structural steel frame for both buildings. This allowed the parties in various locations to “meet” to review the design layout and construction. At the early stages of the project, weekly on-line model review meetings were conducted between the owner, engineer, equipment suppliers, McCarthy and other key site contractors. During construction, specific on-line BIM conferences allowed the team to review any installation conflicts or issues and provide quick resolutions.
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011
Article source: Charles Rose Architects Inc.
The Muenster University Center, designed by Charles Rose Architects, is at the heart of campus life at The University of South Dakota. The 76,000 square-foot student union, completed in 2009, provides a central location for many essential student services; it houses campus dining, a bookstore, student lounges, comfortable study rooms, function rooms, an informal performance venue, a cafÃ©, and a grand ballroom. In addition, it is home to the offices of the Dean of Students, Student Government Association, Student Activities Center, University Housing, and University Event Planning.
View of East Facade
- Architects: Charles Rose Architects Inc.
- Project: Beacom School of Business & Theodore R. and Karen K. Muenster University Center – The University of South Dakota
- Location: Vermillion, South Dakota
- Software used for the University Center: Autocad, Revit Architecture, Rhinoceros 3d
- Software used for the Business School: Autocad, Rhinoceros 3d
Sunday, December 4th, 2011
Article source: Charles Rose Architects Inc.
Embodying Oregon’s legacy of individuality and independence, Oregon College of Art and Craft has been championing art-making through craft since 1907. Today it offers an intense studio experience, personalized and rigorous instruction, and an active ground for exploration. As the only private art college west of the Mississippi to offer an accredited BFA in Crafts, OCAC is a superb laboratory for the invention of modern craft.
- Architect: Charles Rose Architects Inc.
- Name of Project: Jean Vollum Drawing, Painting, and Photography Building – Oregon College of Art and Craft
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Wednesday, November 30th, 2011
Article source: Dominique Perrault Architecture
Flying is the best way to reach the shores of Seoul Ewha University’s new building (founded in 1886, Ewha welcomes 22.000 female students and is ranked as one of the best universities in the world), thought and realised by Dominique Perrault, as a result of an international architecture competition organised in 2003, and inaugurated on April 29th 2008.
Image Courtesy André Morin
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011
Article source: Robert Maschke Architects
The Brunswick University Center is a new satellite campus for Cuyahoga Community College located in Brunswick, Ohio. The new building situates itself within a campus of existing civic and educational buildings including the Brunswick Community Center, Library, Elementary School, and High School. The design seeks to enhance the campus environment and connection to the context while establishing a unique identity. The Brunswick University Center provides an open and inviting atmosphere for students transitioning to post-secondary education, creating cultural amenity for the community.
Brunswick University Center
Saturday, November 26th, 2011
Article source: BIG + OFF
BIG + OFF WIN THE COMPETITION TO DESIGN THE RESEARCH CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF JUSSIEU IN PARIS
BIG + Paris-based architects OFF, engineers Buro Happold, consultants Michel Forgue and environmental engineer Franck Boutte is the winning team to design the new 15.000 m2 research centre for Sorbonne’s Scientific university Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris.
- Architects: BIG + OFF
- Name of Project: Paris PARC
- Location: Paris, France
- Type: Competition
- Client: UPMC University
- All drawings and images: BIG
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011
Article source: Organic Scapes and Architecture
The project proposal for the Campus International School for Downtown Cleveland illustrates the transformation of Cleveland State University’s master plan for converting the area into a dense mixed-use development and with recreation fields. The quotation ”an opportunity to re-evaluate the broader terrain in which children learn and give as great an emphasis on learning environments as others have given the educational philosophies” formed the basis for our proposal.
- Architects: Organic Scapes and Architecture
- Project: Cleveland Design Competition: A New School Vision
- Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
- Projects team: Gabriel Belli Butler and Stefano Rocchetti.
- Client: Campus International School
- Program: Educational – School
- Site area: 294,615 sq-ft
- Design period: 2011
- Gross Floor Ratio: 90,000 sq-ft