Article source: Vilalta Arquitectura
Xavier Vilalta´s major project in Ethiopia, Lideta Mercato, has finally topped out in Addis Ababa and is set to open this summer.
The Lideta Mercato was intended to be a shopping mall just like many others in the city of Addis Ababa. A rigorous analysis has identified the main issues of the existing malls in the city, which are commonly built using glazing structures. As a result, the buildings suffer uncomfortable thermal conditions and over-illumination in the interiors. The observation of the Old Mercato, the largest open air market in Africa, was an inspiration to redefine the program of the building, conceiving a multistory contemporary market instead of a conventional shopping mall based on large shops.
- Architects: Vilalta Arquitectura
- Project: Lideta Market
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Photography: Gonzalo Guajardo
- Client: Flintstone Engineering
- Director: Xavier Vilalta
- Project Leader: Maria Rosaria Favoino
- Project Team: Joao Medeiros, Miguel Sánchez Enkerlin, Reema Al-Ajlan, Daniel Vaczi
- Structural: K2N Engineering
- Mechanical & Sanitary: Abiy Aberra
- Data: Restricted competition: 1st Prize
- Surface: 14.200 m2
- Time: 2010-2016