Article source: archi5
The town of Belfort was founded to control the pass between the Vosges and the Jura. The original pentagonal structure was designed by Vauban in 1687 and completed and reorganised by General Haxo. Fort Hatry, where the new sports hall is located, was once part of the city’s defences. The shape of the fortifications was not so much a result of the orthogonal shape of the city but a response to the art of warfare at the time: defence and control of movement using the traditional configuration of edges and folded walls. Since the military abandoned the fortress it has become a recreational park used for open-air events with temporary structures such as fairgrounds or circuses.
- Architects: archi5 with B. Huidobro
- Project: The Lighthouse, sports arena
- Location: Belfort, France
- Urbanism and architecture agency: archi5prod
- Photographer: Fabien Terreaux and Amoor Maadi
- Client: City of Belfort
- Program: Construction of a multisport and events arena. 1500 to 2800 seats.
- Surface: 5 163 m²
- Cost: 6 383 176 € Excl tax.
- Timetable: Competition prize winner 2005 – Completion 2008