Posts Tagged ‘California’
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017
Article source: Feldman Architecture
The design for Fitty Wun reflects the playful, sometimes irreverent, personalities of the clients, a couple with three active young boys and a “work hard, play hard” approach to life. The clients desired a house centered on large, light-filled central spaces where the kids and friends of the family would love to hang out today and also ten years from now. This space also acts as a welcoming, warm kind of “Panopticon that allows the boys the freedom to be boys while the parents are strategically within ear, if not always eyeshot, to arbitrate, adjudicate and apply basic medical direction” (the client’s words!).
Image Courtesy © Joe Fletcher
- Architects: Feldman Architecture
- Project: Fitty Wun
- Location: San Francisco, California, USA
- Photography: Joe Fletcher
- Contractor: Design Line Construction
- Lighting Design: Kim Cladas
- Landscape Design: Owner with Loretta Gargan Landscape + Design
- Green Roof: Fred Ballerini
- Size: 4,1888 sf
- Completion Date: 2014
Friday, December 1st, 2017
Article source: AxelrodArchitects
The Oakland Hills house was built originally in 1939, the house renovation aimed to update the property by creating a modern, spacious interior, without expanding its original footprint.
Image Courtesy © AxelrodArchitects
- Architects: AxelrodArchitects
- Project: A house with a view
- Location: Oakland, California, USA
- Area: 2,150 sq. ft.
- Date of Completion: 2016
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017
Article source: CannonDesign
To offer the community access to leading-edge cancer, stem cell and surgical therapies , the client collaborated with doctors, scientists, nurses and engineers to build a world-class medical destination for patient-first care. Connected to Thornton Pavilion and located adjacent to a new research facility, the 509,500 sf, 245-bed Jacobs Medical Center is a translational medical center in the truest sense — facilitating the convergence of research, education and excellent clinical care.
The 509,500 sf, 245-bed Jacobs Medical Center is a translational medical center in the truest sense – facilitating the convergence of research, education and excellence clinical care, Image Courtesy © Christopher Barrett and Ethan Rohloff
- Architects: CannonDesign
- Project: Jacobs Medical Center
- Location: La Jolla, San Diego, California, USA
- Photography: Christopher Barrett and Ethan Rohloff
- Architecture Design Principal: Mehrdad Yazdani
- Client: UC San Diego Health
- Size: 509,500 SF
- Completion: 2017
Thursday, November 9th, 2017
Article source: ANX / Aaron Neubert Architects, Inc.
The project site for this 2,100 sf residence is a 3,750 sf ascending northwesterly facing parcel with panoramic views towards Los Angeles’ Silver Lake Hills and Reservoir. The residence is situated adjacent to multiple significant mid-century modern homes, including William Kesling’s Vanderpool and Wilson Houses, and the Allyn Morris cantilevered duplex. Due to the adjacency of these neighboring properties and the lack of natural open space available as a result of the limited size and extreme slope of the site, a series of plan shifts were generated to create numerous exterior living spaces within the volume of the residence.
Image Courtesy © Brian Thomas Jones and Alex Zarour
- Architects: ANX / Aaron Neubert Architects, Inc.
- Project: Tilt-Shift House
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Photography: Brian Thomas Jones and Alex Zarour
- Software used: Rhino, Autocad
- Project Team: Aaron Neubert (Principal), Jeremy Limsenben, Xiran Zhang, Jina Seo
- Structural Engineer: Craig Phillips Engineering
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017
Article source: HOK
The Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC) sets a precedent for civic-minded transit hubs in the US. HOK and Parsons Brinckerhoff designed ARTIC as an innovative new transit station that serves as a destination in itself. The project brings together transit, dining, retail and entertainment options in an iconic terminal building.
Image Courtesy © HOK
- Architects: HOK
- Project: Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC)
- Location: Anaheim, California, USA
Friday, November 3rd, 2017
Article source: InterContinental Hotels Group
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), one of the world’s leading hotel companies, proudly announces the opening of the InterContinental® Los Angeles Downtown hotel. As the tallest building west of Chicago, the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown hotel forever elevates the Los Angeles skyline at 1,100 feet and 73 stories.
Image Courtesy © InterContinental Hotels Group
- Architects: InterContinental Hotels Group
- Project: The InterContinental(R) Los Angeles Downtown Hotel Elevates Luxury To New Heights
- Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Wednesday, October 25th, 2017
Article source: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
Located in Calistoga, a small town in Northern California’s Napa Valley, this renovated farmhouse is placed gently into a landscape of grape vines and matured walnut trees. The clients, local winemakers, desired a modern dwelling that would complement the small estate while working within the structure of the former residence. With the home’s new design, the relationship to site and ambiguity of the plan are simplified through the subtle shifting of openings and partitions, and the addition of key unifying elements.
Image Courtesy © Nic Lehoux
- Architects: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Project: Wine Country Farmhouse
- Location: Calistoga, California, USA
- Photography: Matthew Millman, Nic Lehoux
- Software used: Revit, 3D renderings
- Design Principal: Gregory Mottola, FAIA
- Project Manager: Aaron Gomez, AIA
- Project Architect: Shawn Wood, RA
- Size: 4,430 SF
Sunday, October 22nd, 2017
Article source: CCS ARCHITECTURE
Stones is a 25,450 square foot gambling hall, restaurant, and bar – in essence a boutique casino. The building is an expansion and total renovation of a former Salvation Army warehouse that had been vacant for years, and is the first project of this kind to combine and relocate two existing card room licenses under one roof. Citrus Heights is a small city sixteen miles east of Sacramento – within California’s Central Valley.
Image Courtesy © Paul Dyer
- Architects: CCS ARCHITECTURE
- Project: Stones Gambling Hall
- Location: 6508/6510 Antelope Road in the Antelope Crossing Shopping District, Citrus Heights, CA 95621, USA
- Photography: Paul Dyer
- Software used: Autocad, SketchUp, Rhino
- Owner: The Monarch Group
- Design Principal: Cass Calder Smith
- Project Architect: Andre Krause
- Interior Design Director: Barbara Turpin-Vickroy
- Project Manager: Bryan Southwick
- Designers: Eric Olson, Nathan Reed
- Structural Engineer: Yadegar Associates, San Francisco CA
Thursday, October 12th, 2017
Article source: BONE Structure
Dan Brunn, AIA, Principal of Dan Brunn Architecture is designing a one-of-a kind “bridge house,” that will, literally, bridge over a stream. The 4,500-square-foot home will serve as a demonstration of innovative systems and forward-thinking processes. The design exemplifies Brunn’s signature minimalist aesthetic evident in dynamic spatial choreography of light and volume.
Image Courtesy © BONE Structure
- Architects: BONE Structure
- Project: Bridge House
- Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Monday, October 9th, 2017
Article source: Gwynne Pugh Urban Studio, Inc.
Although different hotels, the two structures work together to create a strong presence on the 5th Street corner by providing tower-like elements which will offer a gateway to the city. Both structures have interior courts that provide for daylight, cross-ventilation, and general interest shops for hotel patrons. These projects have been designed to complement the fabric of the city while being graceful, fully functional hotels. With an eye toward the then-under-construction Expo Line ushering in an unprecedented number of visitors to Santa Monica, GP-US envisioned the hotels serving as a prime hospitality recipient for such travelers.
Image Courtesy © Gwynne Pugh Urban Studio, Inc.
- Architects: Gwynne Pugh Urban Studio, Inc. (Gene Fong Associates (now AXIS/GFA) )
- Project: Santa Monica Hotels
- Location: Santa Monica, California, USA
- Owner: OTO Development
- Interior Design: Studio HBA
- Lighting Design: Illuminate Lighting Design
- LEED Consultant: Zinner Consultants
- Structural Engineer: Englekirk Structural Engineers
- M & P Engineer: Hellman & Lober
- Electrical Engineer: OMB Electrical Engineers
- Civil Engineering & Surveyor: Psomas
- LEED Commissioning: Engineering Economics, Inc.
- General Contractor: Lusardi Construction