Article source: Rafael Viñoly Architects PC
Carrasco International Airport, officially known as “Aeropuerto Internacional de Carrasco General Cesareo L. Berisso,” is located 11 miles (17.7 kilometers) east of downtown Montevideo, the capital city of Uruguay. With one million passengers per year, it is the only airport in the country that provides year-round international connections. As a result, it carries great symbolic value as the “front door” for many visitors to the country. With this distinction in mind, Puerta del Sur, the airport owner and operator, commissioned Rafael Viñoly Architects to expand and modernize the existing facilities with a spacious new passenger terminal to expand capacity and spur commercial growth and tourism in the region.
- Architects: Rafael Viñoly Architects PC
- Project: CARRASCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEW TERMINAL
- Location: Ciudad de la Costa, Canelones, Uruguay
- Owner: Puerta del Sur S.A.
- Civil Engineer: Ing. Fontan Balestra
- Electrical Engineer: Ing. Ricardo Hofstadter
- Mechanical Engineer: Ing. Luis Lagomarsino & Associates
- Structural Engineers: Thornton Tomasetti Group, Magnone-Pollio Ing. Civiles
- Landscape Architect: Santiago de Tezanos Architects
- Acoustic Consultant: Ing. Sanchez Quintana
- Code Consultant: Hughes Associates, Inc.
- IT/Security Consultant: Corporacion America