House DE is an “infill” townhouse, spectacularly sited on a hillside above Clearwater Bay, Hong Kong. Combining two existing units into one, the design uses the volumes of three staircases to blend, burrow and interlock spaces vertically across four floors. Each “interaction” is materially monolithic, using stone, wood and a series of delicate aluminum fins. Defined by these fins, the texture and form of the lantern-volume subtly changes shape and depth, casting shadow and emitting light in different ways throughout the day.
- Architects: David Clovers Architects
- Project: House DE
- Location: Clearwater Bay, Hong Kong
- Type: 4300 sf townhouse renovation/combining of two units
- Photography: davidclovers & Almond Chu
- Design Team: David Erdman, Clover Lee, Mui Fuk Man, Jason Dembski, Yvette Herrera, Rathi Subramanian, Lam Pui Wing, Spencer Mak
- Software used: Maya, Rhino, formed lantern profiles CNC milled from digital profiles.