Article source: Perkins Eastman
The Lekhwiya Sports Complex will be the home stadium for the winning team of the Royal Cup, the Lekhwiya Club. The complex will also be used as a training site and home base for a guest team participating in the 2022 World Cup.
Designed in collaboration with ECG, Pieper Sports Facility Consulting, and Site Concepts International, the Lekhwiya Sports Complex will serve as an identifiable icon for the home club, while its mix of uses will provide for a variety of experiences for players, fans, and sponsors alike. Inspiration for the design drew from longstanding aspects of Doha’s and Qatar’s culture and their dominating features. For instance, Doha’s location on the water, its history as a port city, and its boating and sailing culture inspired the design of the stadium’s very form. At the same time, the history of pearl harvesting in the Arabian Gulf is referenced in the smooth white oval and dome shapes.
- Architect: Perkins Eastman
- Name of project: Lekhwiya Sports Complex
- Location: Doha, Qatar
- Building size: Stadium – 60,000 sf
- Structure: Concrete, steel, tensile fabric
- Client: Private Engineering Office of the Emir
- Image credit: Courtesy Perkins Eastman
- Associate Architect, MEP Engineer, and Structural Engineer: ECG
- Sports consultant: Pieper Sports Consulting
- Landscape Designer: Site Concepts International
- Status: Under construction
- Completion Date: Stadium: August 2012