Article source: Gerber Architekten
The King Fahad National Library, one of the most important cultural buildings in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, was completed and went into use for its intended purpose in November 2013. This project sees Professor Eckhard Gerber and his Gerber Architekten team accomplishing one of the most important urban development and cultural projects in the capital, Riyadh. The design functions as the central driving force behind a piece of urban development and rearrangement, and combines the challenge of designing within the existing building stock with respect for Arabian culture.
- Architects: Gerber Architekten
- Project: King Fahad National Library
- Location: Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Photography: Gerber Architekten, Christian Richters
- Software used:Archicad and Graphisoft.
- Client: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Interior Designer: Gerber Architekten
- Landscape Architecture: Gerber Architekten in Cooperation with Kienle Planungsgesellschaft.
- Lightning Design: Gerber Architekten
- HVACR: DS – Plan (Drees & Sommer Group)
- Structural Framework: Bollinger & Grohmann Ingenieure
- In cooperation with: Saudi Consulting Services
- Main contractor: Saudi Bin Laden Group
- Competition: 1999 – 2002
- Design: 2004 – 2006
- Construction: 2008 – 2013
- Completion: November 2013