Article source: Force4 Architects
A rural area with potential
The new surf-culture house situated on the tip of Klitmøller’s magnificent coastline has been named “The Lobster House”.
The name was given due to the building’s former function as a repository for live lobsters before they were sold at auction. Today, there are no lobsters! Instead, there is space for the surf club, NASA. The clubhouse was designed by Force4 Architects, as an extension of the terrain, creating one fluid landscape. With this vision in mind, the roof not only functions as an important element in relation to the building’s users but also as an attractive transition between landscape and building, culminating in a public viewing point for all visitors.
- Architects: Force4 Architects
- Project: Cold Hawaii – New surf club
- Location: Klitmøller, Denmark
- Completed: March 2012
- Engineer: Jelcon A/S
- Landscape: Preben Skaarup Landskabsarkitekter
- Client: The Municipality of Thisted in collaboration with The Real Dania Foundation
- Foundations: Real Dania, Bevica, Lokale og Anlægsfonden, Friluftsrådet
- Photos: Mette Johnsen