Article source: Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects
Referred to as a “community-embedded, supportive learning center,” this library offers not only books, but also a performance space, a teaching kitchen, a greenhouse and vegetable garden, and an arboretum.
The Director of the Library System’s challenge was to create a playground without equipment, where nature and imagination combine to create grand adventures on a six acre natural site in the heart of the capital city.
- Architects: Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects
- Project: CALS Children’s Library
- Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
- Photography: Tim Hursley
- Client: Central Arkansas Library System
- Building Area (sf):
- 30,000 sf library proper
- 8,500 sf greenhouse/shop
- Cost per Square Foot: $260.00 / sf Building and Site, including wetland, bridges and weirs
- Construction Cost: $9.3 million
- Date of Completion: 2013