Article source: Sanders Pace Architecture
This project was submitted to an open call for proposals for Pod Art installations at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. Our proposal sought to create a reprieve from the visual stimulation present at the annual Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. The installation provided a spatially interactive experience – one which can be simultaneously viewed and occupied. A 30′ x 30′ gridded field of 1 1/2″ diameter bamboo poles defined the installation while selectively removed zones created privacy and enclosure within an otherwise vast, undefined 600+ acre event. The tight placement of poles also provided dappled shade projecting into internal spaces located within the gridded field. Ultimately, This dense bamboo grid created an inhabitable thicket to be experienced and explored by the festivalgoer.
- ARCHITECT: Sanders Pace Architecture
- NAME OF PROJECT: Thicket Installation
- LOCATION: Manchester, Tennessee
- SIZE: 900 Square Feet (x2 pods)
- COST: $3,000.00 (Material Cost)
- COMPLETION: Summer 2011
- PROJECT TEAM: Brandon Pace, Michael Davis, Michael Aktalay, Larry Davis, Matthew Davis, Carah Ferry, Will Spencer, Garrett Ferry, Ashley Pace, John Sanders, Stephanie Dowdy, David Scott, Shane Elliot, Leslie Smith
- Software used: Rhino for 3d and a whole lot of photoshop and illustrator on the digital things. A physical model was also produced.