Article source: Cândido Chuva Gomes, arquitectos, Ldª
CHURCH OF THE SÃO FRANCISCO CONVENT – REHABILITATION
Only a few signs remain of the original Franciscan convent established in the 13th century, which reveal its original configuration, considered the oldest religious building in Portalegre. Throughout the centuries, several building works have reconfigured the space of the church, both in shape and size. After the dissolution of the religious orders in 1834, the original body of the Convent was subject to successive adaptations and additions, resulting from the repurposing of the building, particularly related to the industrial processing of cork. The church, after 1910, lost its ecclesiastical function and was used in several different ways from that period onwards, suffering some reconstruction and recuperation during the 70’s and 80’s, which were not carried out in a manner that added value to or repurposed the building.
- Architect: Cândido Chuva Gomes, arquitectos, Ldª
- Name of Project: Reabilitação da Igreja do Convento de São Francisco, Portalegre
- Location: Portalegre, Portugal
- Client: Robinson Foundation
- Time Line: 1998 – 2003
- Building Contractor: MRG, S.A.
- Photography: Rogério Oliveira, FG+SG (Fernando Guerra e Sérgio Guerra)
- Software used: AutoCAD