Article source: Fabio Capanni Workshop
Each and every project realized by Leonardo da Vinci, whether a building or a model airplane, was inspired by the human body. As such, this gym on the outskirts of Sesto Fiorentino, near Florence, can be considered a tribute to Leonardo’s work and genius. The copper plates covering the exterior of the gym makes the building look like muscle fiber. Thanks to the nail-less mounting, the plates are free to move and expand in accordance with one of copper’s key characteristic.
- Architects: Fabio Capanni Workshop
- Project: La Fonte Gym
- Location: via Boito 5, Sesto Fiorentino, Firenze, Italy
- Project and supervision of works: Fabio Capanni
- Collaborators: Gabriele Bartocci, Daniele Buzzegoli, Frida Gramaccioni
- Structures and systems: Stefano Palazzesi
- Customer: Municipality of Sesto Fiorentino
- Builder: IN.G.IOVI. S.r.l. – Afragola (CS) Idroflorence S.r.l. – Badia a Settimo, Scandicci (FI)
- Chronology:1997-2000: project; 2001-2003, 2006: realization
- Dimensional data: 1.800 mq lot surface, 600 mq building surface, 4.000 mc building volume
- Photography: Christian Richters, by courtesy of KME S.p.a.