Article source: People’s Architecture Office
Shipping containers stacked and shifted in plan and layered in elevation maximize rooftop views and shaded public areas on the ground at the Container Stack Pavilion. A 7.5 meter cantilevered box is the point of entrance to the building’s upper level roof, while the pavilion itself seems to extend out toward bordering streets, showcasing its interior activities. The ends of each container are capped with full height windows, allowing sightlines throughout the entire building. Inside, a double height central atrium is carved out where the two levels of shipping containers overlap. The Container Stack Pavilion is a temporary structure that can be disassembled and moved to other locations.
- Architects: People’s Architecture Office
- Project: Container Stack Pavilion
- Location: Dongshan, Taiyuan, Shanxi
- Client: Eastern Heights Real Estate Co. Ltd.
- Principals: He Zhe, James Shen, Zang Feng
- Project Team: Zhang Minghui, Amy Song, Zhang Zhen
- Date of Completion: September 2015