The historic Abu Dhabi Central Market is one of the oldest sites in the city. Inspired by the traditional architecture of the Gulf this scheme aims to reinvent the market place as a contemporary mixed-use complex and give the city a new civic heart. By offering an alternative to the globalised ‘one-size-fits-all’ shopping mall it offers a distinctive modern interpretation of the regional vernacular. As a shopping experience it combines luxury goods shops with food markets and craft-based trades. Like the traditional souk, these different experiences are brought together in an interior architecture of dappled sunlight, vibrant colours and running water, with a changing rhythm of squares, courtyards and alley ways.
- Architect: Foster + Partners
- Project: Aldar Central Market
- Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Client: ALDAR Properties PJSC
- Project Manager: WS Atkins
- Structural Engineer:Halvorson and Partners