Article source: Philipp Bechter
The design of a cemetery is based on the beliefs and their funeral rites, which in turn say a lot about the particular understanding of nature and social relations.
This fact should also be shown clearly in the new cemetery project for Muslims in Vorarlberg.
Image Courtesy Adolf Bereuter, Nikolaus Walter, Peter Allgäuer, Bernardo Bader
- Architects: Bernardo Bader
- Project: Islamic Cemetery Altach
- Location: Altach, Vorarlberg, Austria
- Year: 2012
- Property size: 8400m2
- Property owner: Vorarlberger Gemeindeverband
- Graves: compactly organized grave area with bench, 700 graves in the final possible
- Rooms: Ablution (ritual washing), Small prayer room (Mescid), Utility rooms Covered area for adoption
- Architectural strategy: very open and clearly laid out overall concept Pragmatic with very little symbolism unobtrusive integrated in the landscape
- Photos: Adolf Bereuter, Nikolaus Walter, Peter Allgäuer, Bernardo Bader