Jul 22, 2014 -- Raleigh, NC – RCI has assembled a panel of expert speakers to discuss advanced methods for designing sound building enclosures and the merits of contemporary building materials. Over 300 building designers, facility managers and other construction professionals are expected to be in attendance at the professional association’s annual Symposium on Building Envelope Technology. The 2014 event will be held October 20-21 at the Tampa Convention Center and the Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina in Tampa, FL.
The two-day program will feature 12 different educational sessions presented by leading building envelope designers. Speakers will offer experience-based insights for specification of sound, durable exterior envelopes. Most programs will focus on repair and/or sustainable design methods for strengthening and improving existing structures.
Leading building envelope product manufacturers will be present with displays of the latest products and services. An evening reception after the close of the fist day’s meeting will allow those in attendance a chance to network and mingle with fellow professionals.
Attendees can earn up to 12 continuing education credits from both RCI and the American Association of Architects.
For more information, visit www.rci-online.org or call 800-828-1902.
Educational presentations will include:
- Lock-Strip Glazing Gasket Curtain Walls – How Old is Too Old?
Matthew C. Farmer, PE – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.,
- Electronic Leak Detection Methods for Locating Leaks in Waterproofing Membranes
David Vokey, PEng – Detec Systems, LLC, Bellingham, WA
- Quantitative Heat Transfer for Low-Slope Roof Membranes
Mathew Dupuis, PE – Structural Research, Inc., Middleton, WI
- Fan Pressure Testing for Large, Complex Buildings
Terry Brennan – Camroden Associates, Inc., Westmoreland, NY
- Not-So-Pretty in Pink: Death of a Thin-Stone Veneer
Lurita McIntosh Blank, REWC, CDT – Walter P. Moore Associates, Inc.,
Kansas City, MO
- Projects That Stink (Literally)
Timothy A. Mills, PE, LEED AP, MASCE – TAM Consultants, Inc.,
- The Fundamentals of Design for Proper Energy Conservation
Karim Allana, RRC, RWC, PE – Allana, Buick & Bers, Inc.,
Palo Alto, CA
- Detailing in Transition: Hybrid Walls and the Evolution of Terra Cotta Detailing
Edward Gerns, RA, LEED AP – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates,
Inc., Chicago, IL
Rachel Will, PE – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., Chicago, IL
- The Energy Penalty Associated With the Use of Mechanically Attached Roofing Systems
Simon Pallin – Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN
Nonpresenting coauthors: André Desjarlais and Manfred Kehrer –
ORNL, Oak Ridge, TN
- Onshore vs. Offshore Curtain Wall Systems
Brian Hubbs, PE, BEP – RDH Building Engineering, Ltd., Vancouver, BC
- Reducing Condensation Risk in Buildings
Amir Hassan – Read Jones Christoffersen, Ltd., Edmonton, AB
- Going Beneath the Surface: The Innovative Use of Standard Tests to Recognize, Remedy, and Renew Deteriorated Cladding
Sarah Gray, PEng, CAHP – Halsall Associates, Toronto, ON
Christopher Fulton – Halsall Associates, Toronto, ON
RCI is an international association of building envelope consultants whose members specialize in design, investigation, repair, and management of roofing, exterior wall, and waterproofing systems. RCI regularly hosts education programs designed to demystify and explain the application of roofing, waterproofing, and exterior wall technologies. For more information about RCI, visit www.rci-online.org or call 800-828-1902.