Introduction of Variance-Based Adaptive Sampling Makes Renders Easier to Predict and Control
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – December 17, 2015 – Today, Chaos Group releases a free upgrade to V-Ray for 3ds Max. This update features 20-50% faster rendering for most scenes and introduces a new variance-based adaptive sampler (VBAS) for more uniform noise distribution, faster setup, and improved imagery for VR, VFX, and arch-viz workflows.
Variance-Based Adaptive Sampling provides:
- Better sampling of dark areas and faster sampling of overbright areas
- More consistent noise detection
- Final image quality is less dependent on materials and lights settings
- Improved alpha channel sampling –âï¿½¯especially in scenes with depth of field and motion blur
- Works in bucket and progressive rendering modes
In addition, V-Ray 3.3 for 3ds Max includes over 25 new features and updates.
New Global Defaults
- Variance-based adaptive sampler enabled by default
- Automatic sampling of lights and materials – removing the need to set subdivisions manually
Ray Traced Rounded Corners
- Perfectly smooth edges at render time with no additional modeling – based on licensed technology from NVIDIA
- Advanced edge detection with support for concave and convex surfaces simultaneously
- Works with separate objects, VRayProxy objects, displaced objects, etc.
New Sky Model and Aerial Perspective
- Hosek sky model to simulate more natural looking skies
- Ground color option for VRaySun and VRaySky
- Aerial perspective for efficient and realistic atmospheric depth
- Fast, seamless textures without UVs
- Control over edge blending and texture parameters, including randomization
- Works on procedural geometry
Improved V-Ray Clipper with Render-Time Booleans
- Supports cutaways using any arbitrary mesh
- Ultra-realistic materials with sparkle effects like snow, sand, and car paints
- More robust handling of reflective GI caustics, better light propagation, and more natural illumination of interior scenes
- Distributed light cache for faster calculations with distributed rendering
- More texture nodes – MultiTexture, VRayMultiSubTex, ColorCorrection, etc.
- Proxy objects with hair and particles
- VRayFur and VRayPlane objects
- Light include/exclude lists
- Dynamic noise threshold leads to more uniform noise distribution
- Improved sub-pixel filtering
- Improved CPU utilization
- Faster volume rendering with probabilistic sampling
- Faster rendering of proxy objects and instances
V-Ray 3.3 for 3ds Max is a free update for all V-Ray 3.0 customers. Login at chaosgroup.com to download.
About Chaos Group
Chaos Group creates physically based rendering and simulation software for artists and designers. Founded in 1997, Chaos Group has devoted the last 18 years to helping artists advance the speed and quality of one of their most important tools. Today, Chaos Group’s photorealistic rendering software, V-Ray®, has become the rendering engine of choice for many high-profile companies and innovators in the design and visual effects industries.