March 25, 2009 -- YARMOUTH, Maine — DeLorme, the innovation leader in mapping, GIS and GPS technology, today announced the release of the latest version of its three-tiered XMap 6 GIS suite. XMap 6.2 offers functional improvements and performance upgrades for every level of XMap.
A significant component of this upgrade is the expansion of ESRI shapefile support to users of XMap Professional. This base edition of XMap now delivers entry-level GIS functionality, by offering access to readily available shapefile data as well as common aerial imagery formats.
XMap Professional users can now:
- Download and import shapefiles from GIS data archives
- Customize the symbology of point, line, and polygon layers
- Access all of the available attributes for each map object
- Search for specific records using XMap’s Attribute Search function
- Turn specific layers on or off to create custom maps
- Transfer GIS layers and aerial imagery to DeLorme Earthmate PN-Series handheld GPS receivers
For advanced GIS applications, DeLorme offers XMap 6.2 GIS Editor, which includes full data editing capability, and XMap 6.2 GIS Enterprise, which provides efficient tools for corporate GIS data management and distribution and which now includes support for ArcSDE 9.3.
All editions of XMap are built on the solid foundation of DeLorme’s award-winning mapping platform and incorporate an array of invaluable mapping tools, including efficient route planning and GPS navigation; 3-D terrain modeling; drawing and annotation tools; high-quality map printing, and much more.
The release of XMap 6.2 further elevates DeLorme’s unique market position as a provider of practical GIS solutions that are within reach any corporation or agency budget. XMap is used by GIS professionals within a broad range of markets, including:
- Oil & Gas Energy – asset management, GPS navigation, field data collection
- Wind Energy – site assessment, wind resource analysis, community collaboration
- Public Safety – search and rescue, evacuation planning, fire and crime analysis
- Environmental and Natural Resource Management – site assessments, habitat studies, back-country GPS navigation
- Insurance – damage assessment, in-vehicle GPS navigation, demographic and market analysis
- Real Estate – appraisal comparisons, listing database management, property mapping
- Local Government- tax parcel mapping, public works management, zoning and code enforcement
Located in Yarmouth, Maine, DeLorme is the longtime leader in the production of innovative mapping and GPS solutions for both consumer and professional markets, with a particular focus on three key areas of the geospatial market: advanced mapping and GIS software, worldwide digital map data; and handheld GPS receivers. DeLorme digital products are rooted in the XMap development platform, which is endorsed by millions of dedicated digital mapping software users worldwide. The DeLorme business model applies innovative technologies to the development of affordable and easy-to-use navigation and mapping products. For more information, visit www.xmap.com.