December 17, 2009 -- Integrity Logic today announced the release of Geograph IL, the latest version of the popular GIS (Geographic Information System) for the iPhone/iPod platform, covering the state of Illinois. This release features over 40 layers of geographic data which can be combined and merged.
"What makes this application exciting is that you can have it with you at all times, even in the middle of nowhere," said Max Tardiveau, founder of Integrity Logic. "This brings a whole new dimension to GIS. Before that, GIS was a desktop-only technology. Now you can have the information at your fingertips even as you look at the area in question."
Like its sixteen sister applications already covering nineteen states, Geograph IL contains a wide array of data layers:
- geological map from the U.S. Geological Service
- public land ownership (local, state, federal)
- states outlines
- land elevation from NASA
- bathymetry for southern lake Michigan
- old faults
- seismic risk and all earthquakes in recorded history over magnitude 3.0
- over 2,600 named features (summits, tunnels, cliffs, bridges, etc...) with link to USGS web site for each feature
- hydrologic units
- ecological regions from EPA
- counties with link to Census data
- UTM zones, township and range, USGS quadrangles
- congressional districts with links to representatives' web sites
- urban areas, hydrological features
- cities, roads and railroad tracks
- active mines and quarries
- zip codes
- glacial boundary
- potassium/argon dates
- surficial material
- main aquifers
- over 2,300 mineral resource data points with link to USGS web site for each resource
This release introduces a number of additional layers, which can be downloaded from the application:
- state assembly districts with link to the representatives' web sites
- state senate districts with link to the senators' web sites
- elementary, secondary and unified school districts
- cities and villages with link to Census Bureau's statistics
- town and city limits
- landmark points and areas
- city of Chicago alderman wards with link to the alderman's web site
- city of Chicago neighborhoods
- city of Chicago precincts (all 2,605 of them)
Geograph IL is a completely self-contained application, which does not require any Internet access. This is critical for anyone who needs access to this information when out of cellular range, in the field.
Geograph IL can use the iPhone's built-in GPS and the iPod's location service, and can also capture high-definitions maps, which can be retrieved from the device's photo album.
The application is available immediately in the Apple App Store and is priced at $4.99.
About Integrity Logic
Integrity Logic is a software and consulting services company founded in 2003.