May 29, 2006
BE Conference 2006: All About Infrastructure
Please note that contributed articles, blog entries, and comments posted on AECcafe.com are the views and opinion of the author and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the management and staff of Internet Business Systems and its subsidiary web-sites.
Welcome to AECWeekly! Infrastructure, that's what Bentley Systems is about, according to CMO Tony Flynn, who provided the introduction for the opening general session at BE Conference in Charlotte, N.C. Flynn said that to improve the world's infrastructure we must educate the young. Read about it in this week's Industry News, and read GISWeekly for an update on
AECWeekly is a news magazine featuring important industry news profiles, a summary of recently published AEC product and company news, customer wins, and coming events. Brought to you by AECCafe.
AECWeekly examines select top news each week, picks out worthwhile reading from around the web, and special interest items you might not find elsewhere. This issue will feature Industry News, Acquisitions/Alliances/Agreements, Announcements, Contract Awards, Awards, New Products, and Upcoming Events.
AECWeekly welcomes letters and feedback from readers, so let us know what you think.
Susan Smith, Managing Editor
BE Conference 2006: All About Infrastructure
by Susan Smith
Infrastructure, that's what Bentley Systems is about, according to CMO Tony Flynn, who provided the introduction for the opening general session at BE Conference in Charlotte, N.C. Flynn said that to improve the world's infrastructure we must educate the young.
“It's Time for Learning” was the theme this year. Bentley is introducing Bentley LEARN and Bentley LEARN Server, which will be the “epicenter for learning,” all accessible from the desktop. This program will be rolled out in June. In addition, Bentley still has the Bentley Institute, a classroom and distance learning, instructor led program provided on demand.
Flynn said that productivity across all industries has increased 3 percent every year. AE business has increased less than one percent, which means that unless we involve students today, we'll lose more of the best kids to other disciplines.
Over 2,000 attendees came to the Charlotte Conference, to partake of the 600 technical sessions offered.
Greg Bentley, CEO
Bentley showed a clip about the Future Cities Competition which took place in Washington, D.C. where “young minds work on tomorrow's engineering problems.”
Also, Bentley noted that in a recent study it was cited that constraints on engineering resources were the bottleneck for most firms. This means that we need to learn and share new technology best practices.
He brought up the fact that distributed enterprises these are necessary for even the smallest enterprise.
Bentley listed this year's distinguishing strategies of Bentley:
1. Comprehensive portfolio - 20 percent of revenues devoted to R&D
2. Acquisitions timeline: largest developer for AutoCAD; added speedikon who pioneered BIM with their industrial facility design solution mostly in Germany; Cook-Hurlbert, product line for utility networks; Haestad Methods, leaders in water resources modeling; STAAD research engineers plant civil and building, supports over 60 design codes for structural analysis; RAM international, the lead in analysis and design solutions for building structures; Logos, ISO improved integration with 3D models. CADscript and MAPscript, cartographic quality map finishing software and GEF-Ris, sysnet product range utility common framework.
3. Collaboration servers - geographically distributed enterprise with ProjectWise VB SM Edition, which is an integrated suite of collaboration servers that enable AEC project teams, their information, and their tools to work as one. Brand new is the StartPoint Client, an entry-level collaboration tool for which no ProjectWise server is required. With StartPoint, Bentley has enabled the SharePoint Server from Microsoft to provide direct access to SharePoint platform collaboration tools from within MicroStation, MicroStation PowerDraft, and AutoCAD,
4. Analysis interoperations-The beta version of the long awaited GenerativeComponents (GC) has been announced, which allows MicroStation users to extend their architectural creativity to design and build using very challenging geometric forms. The first building built and designed using GC is KPF's Bishopsgate Tower.
5. Innovative licensing and learning subscriptions - distributed enterprise licensing - the SELECT fee will be increased for the first time in ten years with SELECT Server XM Edition: $100 a year over the current price of $625 per year. Available September 1, 2006, SELECT has been considerably
enhanced, offering an annual license exchange, pool and trust licensing (allows people to use their SELECT license offsite), as well as OnDemand learning and much more.
The ELS program has a fixed annual fee that ensures access to ProjectWise as well as other products added for municipalities.
6. Global resources -- 2005 revenues grew to US$236 million. Two thirds of revenues coming from accumulated subscriptions revenues have grown almost fourfold. Overall, Bentley has had an 8 percent growth in the last year.
Bentley is a leader in overall plant software sales for 2005; it is one of the top 500 ENR design firms. Cash flow from operations topped $US40 million. Cash expended from acquisitions is over US$50 million. The company has retired most of its debt and is funding most of its acquisitions with cash from operations.
Buddy Cleveland - Distributed Enterprises
Successful project delivery depends upon:
- executing project functions
- using delivering and sharing information
Every project is a distributed enterprise
- the greater the ROI on the project info the more successful the project.
- more easily and efficiently created
- more accessible
- more complete
- more accurate
- more usable
MicroStation V8 XM Edition
Bhupinder Singh, senior VP Platform and Chris Bober, director, product management, gave a rundown on the highlights of the new
MicroStation V8 XM Edition and a demonstration.
Primary enhancements in MicroStation V8 XM Edition (list is from the press release) are the following:
-- Reference Enhancements: The ability to attach a PDF reference to a design file, dynamically manipulate reference clipping boundaries with handles, and attach multiple instances of the same model at different stages of development using Design History
-- Element Templates: Integrate CAD standards with MicroStation Tasks to align features and tools with design and production workflows, so that teams can create consistent work
ProjectWise StartPoint: Built-in technology providing an entry-level collaboration tool to manage, find, and share CAD and geospatial content using Microsoft Office SharePoint technologies
-- Link Sets: For managing and navigating relationships of content within files such as drawings and specification documents and across formats including DGN, DWG, PDF, and Office formats
-- DirectX Graphics System: A new display subsystem leveraging Microsoft DirectX technologies - the same high-speed graphics technology that drives the video gaming industry to significantly increase view and navigation speed in 2D and 3D designs
-- Element Transparency and Display Priority: Advance MicroStation's design, drafting, mapping, and visualization capabilities
-- PANTONE and RAL Color Systems: 24-bit color support deliver richer, more consistent presentations
-- Keyboard Position Assignments: Patented keyboard position assignment to provide immediate access to any MicroStation command at the stroke of a key, and programmable mouse functionality to increase the performance of view and model navigation
-- 3D Modeling Advancements: Creation of parametric 3D geometry, mesh modeling for creating lightweight structures, and new handles for intuitive and interactive editing
-- Visualization and Animation: Improved visualization capabilities for photo-realistic rendering and new animation tools
-- Microsoft Designed for XP Logo Compliance: New installers now ease the process of implementation and SELECT updates are structured to reduce the overhead of administration
You can find the full AECCafe event calendar here.
To read more news, click here.
-- Susan Smith, AECCafe.com Managing Editor.
Be the first to review this article