Intuitive medium for teaching and sharing concepts shortens learning curve for engineering, math and science disciplines
CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 10, 2002-- MathSoft Engineering and Education, Inc., the leading provider of interactive math, science, engineering and educational software, content and Web services, today introduced the Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package, the most powerful technical calculation and publishing software available for higher education. Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package gives the academic community affordable access to the software tool used by millions of professional engineers and scientists worldwide. MathSoft has also included a Bonus Pack of advanced modeling and problem-solving capabilities, further extending the performance of the software. MathSoft is offering the Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package, commercially valued at more than $4,500, for $129.99 for academic use.
Through its patented technology and use of natural math notation, Mathcad simplifies the most complex calculations and designs. Mathcad lets users bring together equations, text and graphs into a single worksheet, so students are able to easily manipulate math and see the results change instantly, creating an unparalleled learning experience. Students and teachers can then focus on math concepts rather than getting bogged down in the tedious and complex syntax of traditional math packages.
Mathcad's inherent functionality and transparency make it a natural fit for the classroom and provides an environment conducive to teaching and learning. Mathcad is uniquely natural in its approach, as it is the only math tool that allows students to work with math in real notation, just as they would using paper and pencil. Its ease-of-use makes the benefits of powerful math software accessible to students of all levels. If the curriculum contains math content, any student capable of taking the course is capable of writing, calculating, manipulating and visualizing it directly in Mathcad. By incorporating Mathcad in the classroom, professors provide students with a solution that is applicable across a wide range of disciplines and one that is used daily by millions of engineers and scientists to solve extremely demanding problems.
To further enhance this package for students and faculty, the free downloadable Bonus Pack includes VisSim Academic for integration with Mathcad 2001i. With VisSim, Mathcad users can model and simulate control, communication or signal processing systems. Other additional downloadable programs include the Signal Processing Extension Pack, Image Processing Extension Pack, Wavelets Extension Pack and Solving & Optimization Pack. Users also get three Schaum's titles, including College Physics, Mechanical Vibrations and Thermodynamics for Engineers.
"Engineering, science and math professors are encountering more challenges in helping their students acquire the math skills and concepts necessary to succeed in the corporate engineering environment," said Chris Randles, chairman and CEO of Mathsoft. "Not only does Mathcad aid students in their education, it also prepares them for their career by acclimating them with an industry standard software tool that they will utilize in the workplace."
"Mathcad makes it easier for students to study math and engineering because it puts the emphasis on understanding math, not big math programming packages," said John Hwalek, associate professor of chemical engineering at the University of Maine. "By eliminating the complex calculations, students were able to spend their study time understanding the technical concepts."
Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package offers all of the new functionality of MathSoft's popular Mathcad 2001i Professional Edition. Mathcad also integrates with a variety of applications including spreadsheets, Microsoft Office applications, Visio®, AutoCAD® and MATLAB®.
Added features that enhance the Mathcad experience for the academic community include:
- More data acquisition options - Mathcad 2001i adds support for data acquisition from Measurement Computing (formerly ComputerBoards) analog DAQ boards and offers improved integration with National Instruments devices.
- Streamlined Web publishing - Mathcad 2001i builds on the bidirectional MathML support introduced in Mathcad 2001 by adding new support for inline data, improved graphics and easier Web publishing with the addition of Web templates. As a result, applying and communicating math on the Web becomes seamless for Mathcad users.
- Expanded problem solving - Mathcad 2001i features a new Radau ODE solver that offers faster, more accurate calculations. Enhanced ODE solve blocks now support systems of differential equations and differential algebraic equations.
- Windows XP support - MathSoft continues to adapt its products for use with the most current Windows operating systems. Mathcad 2001i is now specifically designed for Windows XP compatibility, and also supports Windows 98, Me, NT and 2000.
The Mathcad 2001i Academic Bonus Pack includes the following free downloadable programs:
- VisSim Academic - VisSim is a Windows-based program for the modeling and simulation of complex continuous nonlinear dynamic systems. VisSim combines an intuitive drag & drop block diagram interface with a powerful simulation engine.
- Signal Processing Extension Pack - The Signal Processing Extension Pack provides a powerful design solution for iterative exploration and investigative analysis. Complete with extensive signal processing, analysis and visualization capabilities, this is ideal for electrical design, DSP, audio, recording and research engineers.
- Image Processing Extension Pack - The Image Processing Extension Pack is a powerful tool for exploration and investigative analysis. It is also a valuable tool for students studying electrical engineering or computer sciences.
- Wavelets Extension Pack - The Wavelets Extension Pack lets users take a new approach to signal and image analysis, time series analysis, statistical signal estimation, data compression analysis and special numerical methods.
- Solving & Optimization Pack - The Solving & Optimization Extension Pack delivers the most powerful solving technology available for Mathcad, enabling users to handle even the most complex problems in engineering, finance, operations research and manufacturing.
- Schaum's College Physics - This electronic title consists of self-contained chapters that provide the basics of introductory college physics. It stresses the most important concepts from each chapter in a series of solved problems that are designed to enhance the understanding of theoretical principles through real-world applications.
- Schaum's Mechanical Vibrations - Based on the one-of-a-kind book on mechanical vibrations from Schaum's popular Outline Series, the Electronic Tutor includes sections on mechanical system analysis, vibrations of continuous systems, vibration control, the finite-element method, nonlinear systems and computer applications.
- Schaum's Thermodynamics for Engineers - This Schaum's title covers Thermodynamic Systems, Work and Heat, The First Law of Thermodynamics, The Second Law of Thermodynamics, Power and Refrigeration and Thermodynamic Relations. This can be used by undergraduate and graduate students in engineering as a supplement to classroom materials. There are hundreds of solved and supplementary problems.
Additional electronic titles and Mathcad Add-Ins for all Mathcad users are available for free via download from the Library at www.mathcad.com, a Web site devoted to Mathcad users. These titles extend Mathcad's utility with industry-specific content and functionality in areas such as electrical engineering, statistics, thermal analysis and electromagnetics. Each book can be previewed on the Web site with a description of each title, a table of contents and a sample file. Electronic libraries equip the Mathcad user with discipline targeted application examples and reference materials.
Pricing and Availability
Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package is available for a suggested retail price of $129.99 and runs on Windows XP, 98, Me, NT and 2000. The product is available at www.edu.com, www.journeyed.com and at most college and university bookstores. For a limited time Mathsoft is providing free evaluation copies of Mathcad 2001i Professional - Academic Package to qualifying professors. To explore this offer, please visit www.mathcad.com/AcademicEval or contact a MathSoft academic sales representative at 1-800-628-4223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About MathSoft Engineering & Education, Inc.
MathSoft Engineering & Education, Inc. is the leading provider of interactive math, science, engineering and educational software products and content. The company's Mathcad and StudyWorks product lines use patented technology to combine rich, interactive content with powerful tools for learning, communicating and applying mathematics in real-world technical applications. Mathcad, the internationally recognized standard for technical calculation and applying mathematics, is deployed at 90% of the Fortune 1000 companies, over 500 government installations, and more than 2,000 colleges and universities. StudyWorks, a market leader with over one million licensees, enhances the teaching and learning of math and science online and in secondary education, helping students explore and understand key subjects. Based in Cambridge, Mass., MathSoft Engineering & Education, Inc. has additional offices in the U.K. and Germany and distributors in over 50 countries. The company can be found on the Web at www.mathsoft.com.
Mathcad and StudyWorks! are registered trademarks of MathSoft
Engineering & Education, Inc. All other names or marks may be
registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners.
MathSoft Engineering & Education, Inc. Bernie Buelow, (617) 444-8040 email@example.com or Schwartz Communications, Inc. Vivek Ramgopal/Dave Bowker, (781) 684-0770 firstname.lastname@example.org