AECCafe
   >> AECCafe User News and Reviews
Thread views: 22911 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Unregistered)
11/23/09 10:40 AM
Deltek Costpoint Smart Business Applications Bring Businesse Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Deltek Costpoint Smart Business Applications Bring Businesses Global Access to Enterprise Data

Use this link to read the full article

Very Unhappy
(Unregistered)
11/23/09 10:40 AM
CrustPoint new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Don't believe any CostPoint article that you see that includes the words "user friendly" or "efficient". My company released Costpoint for internal use five months ago after a painful integration process that took over a year to complete. The results are horrid. The software package is non-intuitive and clunky. Just about every 'no-brainer' option you'd want in a system is missing.
There isn't an employee in our company at any level, (IT manager, accounting, requisitioners, approving managers, etc.) that isn't utterly frustrated with it. You'd be better off using Excel macros to manage your projects.

Fred
(Stranger )
12/11/09 12:43 AM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: Very Unhappy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Up until a year ago I would have agreed with you whole-heartedly.  I have gone through 2 implementations and they were both disasters.  The system is total non-user friendly.  Almost all my computer skills were self taught, but I could not even begin to figure out Costpoint.  Fortunately, I came across an consultant who turned my opinions around.  First of all, his cost of his services were 30% less than Deltek and he took 50% less time to accomplish the same tasks I had requested of Deltek's consultants.  My phone calls to Deltek averaged anywhere from 5K to 10K each and usaully took 3 to 5 business days before I got an answer.  This guy seems to not only give me the answer, but solves the problem himself in less than a day.  His explanations are clear and in plan english and has trained me on how to use the system.  If you would like his contact info let me know.  The best of luck to you.

Chesongol
(Stranger )
02/08/10 11:26 PM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: Fred]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Fred,

My company is considering deploying CostPoint and Im interested in speaking with your contact.  I have a few questions that I would like to ask him.  Such as deploying CostPoint in a virtualized network (VMware).

If you can send me his contact I would truly be greatful.

Thank you

-Leo

gl1ch
(Stranger )
02/09/10 11:36 AM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: Chesongol]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Some things you should know. First the software is terrible. It looks and behaves like it was written for Windows 3.1 (client/server) and although the version numbers change there doesnt seem to be much of a difference. If you mention this to Deltek they will tell you they are moving to web. What they usually wont tell you (unless you ask) is that you can only do about 60% or maybe 70% of the things that you can do in client/server in web. Web and client server also use different security structures and databases so you have to synchronize it and all this is just the start of what I see as a big mess.

Get ready because everything you take for granted in an accounting system, all those things that normally come with a system like default reports, security, a display bigger than 640x480 dont come with this software. It also seems like the Deltek consultants supplied by Deltek are usually terrible. If you do go into this I would find some good outside consultants, if you dont have to go with them. Run!

Fred
(Stranger )
02/16/10 08:12 PM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: Chesongol]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Leo,

His name is Jeremy and his email address is jeremydross@yahoo.com.

deltektechie
(Stranger )
02/19/10 07:54 AM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: gl1ch]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I manage IT for a large government contractor in Maryland. We have been using the software for over 9 years now. It is not the most user friendly software, but it does a great job of project accounting. It grew from a COBOL based product into its present form, but still betrays its roots.

I would be happy to talk to you about the software. You can call me at 301-370-4475.

Jawa

gl1ch
(Stranger )
08/24/10 04:26 PM
Re: CrustPoint new [re: deltektechie]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Jawa,

I just received your email and thank you for your offer. The one thing I would be interested to know is how you manage requests to manipulate the SQL databases directly. One thing I strongly criticize Deltek for is its lack of auditing and it seems that everyone and anyone wants to manipulate (add/change/delete) data using SQL scripts. When I first came across this, I was shocked, especially coming from an SAP environment where you would never manipulate the database directly. Anyways, my problem is I now know that there is no way to get around this and unfortunately there are going to be cases when Deltek or consultants need to manipulate the database directly but the best I can do is keep THEM from doing it, backup, review their scripts and make a best guesstimate.

The reason for the "guesstimate" is because without a complete understanding of all database relationships and tables I can never be 100% sure that a script wont cause any other issues.

Anyways, I find this a very scary situation and wonder how other companies handle it. So far I have recieved incorrect scripts from Deltek and my guesstimates have helped!

BTW- I can vouch for Jeremy. He is a great resource!

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

GRAPHISOFT
Bentley:

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and ResumesEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationGISCafe - Geographical Information Services	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy