Open side-bar Menu
 ArchShowcase
Sanjay Gangal
Sanjay Gangal
Sanjay Gangal is the President of IBSystems, the parent company of AECCafe.com, MCADCafe, EDACafe.Com, GISCafe.Com, and ShareCG.Com.

CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART in Ohio by Rafael Viñoly Architects

 
April 20th, 2017 by Sanjay Gangal

Article source: Rafael Viñoly Architects 

The Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the largest and most important art institutions in the United States, was built in 1916 by local architects Hubbell and Benes as a Greek revival pavilion, situated at the head of a pastoral park and lagoon landscape designed by the Olmsted Brothers. However, subsequent additions, including a noteworthy education wing by Marcel Breuer, obscured the rational plan of the original structure with a disjointed, confusing warren of spaces. In 2001, Rafael Viñoly Architects won the commission to resolve these conditions with an expansion and renovation, creating a coherent organization of galleries that accommodates projected growth and unifies disparate architectural vocabularies into a singular composition.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

  • Architects: Rafael Viñoly Architects
  • Project: CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART
  • Location: CLEVELAND, Ohio, U.S
  • Lighting Consultant: George Sexton Associates
  • Structural Engineers: Nabih Youssef & Associates
  • Civil Engineer: Moody-Nolan, Inc
  • Concrete Consultant: Reginald D. Hough
  • Exhibit Designers: Quenroe Associates
  • Retail Consultant: Charles Sparks & Company

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

The plan restores focus to the original 1916 building, conceiving of it as a “jewel” set within a continuous ring of expansion space that includes the renovated Breuer building. The other additions were demolished to make way for a vast, indoor, sunlit piazza, topped by a gently curving canopy of glass and steel, around which the entire museum is newly organized. With indoor landscaping and daylight drawing visitors into the center of the plan, the column-free piazza is a large and welcoming public gathering spot for museum-goers as well as an event space for large functions.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

New gallery wings to the east and west enclose the piazza and taper toward the 1916 building, where they culminate in fully transparent, glazed galleries and pedestrian bridges that permit unobstructed views of the sides of the historic pavilion. The new gallery wings’ exterior stone cladding alternates bands of granite with bands of marble that modulate the two very different aesthetics of the 1916 and Breuer buildings. In this manner, the distinctions between “modern” and “historic” are preserved, yet integrated into a cohesive whole.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

The Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the largest and most important art institutions in the United States, was built in 1916 by local architects Hubbell and Benes as a Greek revival pavilion, situated at the head of a pastoral park and lagoon landscape designed by the Olmsted Brothers. However, subsequent additions, including a noteworthy education wing by Marcel Breuer, obscured the rational plan of the original structure with a disjointed, confusing warren of spaces. In 2001, Rafael Viñoly Architects won the commission to resolve these conditions with an expansion and renovation, creating a coherent organization of galleries that accommodates projected growth and unifies disparate architectural vocabularies into a singular composition.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

The plan restores focus to the original 1916 building, conceiving of it as a “jewel” set within a continuous ring of expansion space that includes the renovated Breuer building. The other additions were demolished to make way for a vast, indoor, sunlit piazza, topped by a gently curving canopy of glass and steel, around which the entire museum is newly organized. With indoor landscaping and daylight drawing visitors into the center of the plan, the column-free piazza is a large and welcoming public gathering spot for museum-goers as well as an event space for large functions.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

New gallery wings to the east and west enclose the piazza and taper toward the 1916 building, where they culminate in fully transparent, glazed galleries and pedestrian bridges that permit unobstructed views of the sides of the historic pavilion. The new gallery wings’ exterior stone cladding alternates bands of granite with bands of marble that modulate the two very different aesthetics of the 1916 and Breuer buildings. In this manner, the distinctions between “modern” and “historic” are preserved, yet integrated into a cohesive whole.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

The two-phase construction process accommodates the museum’s fundraising schedule and allows continued operation (on a reduced basis) while the project is under construction. Phase 1, completed in 2009, consisted of the renovation of the 1916 and Breuer buildings and the construction of the new east wing. Phase 2 began with razing the remaining museum additions to make way for the west wing and central atrium.

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Image Courtesy © Rafael Viñoly Architects

Tags: , ,

Categories: Art Center, Museum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

Kenesto: 30 day trial
Bentley: -Rail and Transit Video
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.



Internet Business Systems © 2018 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
25 North 14th Steet, Suite 710, San Jose, CA 95112
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy PolicyAdvertise