Article source: Architects Of Justice
When a client approached Johannesburg-based Architects Of Justice and commissioned an avant-garde retreat he could disappear to, a journey began which would culminate in a recent Commendation for the project in the Mpumalanga Institute for Architecture (MPIA) Awards for Architecture 2017.
The site for the project, situated within the Mjejane Private Game Reserve – a private Big 5 game reserve incorporated into the Kruger National Park – opens onto a view of the Crocodile River on the north boundary with a green belt on its eastern edge. The retreat was designed to maximise the connection to nature and wild game while ensuring privacy between the five en-suite bedrooms as well as from neighbouring lodges. The rigorous estate guidelines motivated the architects to design around the existing flora on the site, which led to a freeform design that required only three trees to be replanted.
- Architects: Architects Of Justice
- Project: A place of rest
- Location: Game Reserve, South Africa
- Project Manager: Condor & Co Project Management
- Structural Engineers: Professional Consultants Corporation
- Contractor: Ingwe Construction
- Steelwork Contractor: Quality Steel
- Structural Steel Detailer: Orbit Steel/Quality Steel
- Cladding Supplier: Chromadek
- Energy Consultants: Structatherm Projects