Archive for the ‘Museum’ Category
Tuesday, November 26th, 2013
Article source: BIG Architects
The Museum of the Human Body, which will be part of the newly developed area Parc Marianne, is rooted in the humanist and medical tradition of Montpellier and its world renowned medical school, which dates back to the 10th century. The new Museum will explore the human body from an artistic, scientific and societal approach through cultural activities, interactive exhibitions, performances and workshops.
Image Courtesy © BIG Architects
- Architects: BIG Architects
- Project: THE MUSEUM OF THE HUMAN BODY
- Location: MONTPELLIER, FRANCE
- Partners in Charge: Bjarke Ingels, Andreas Klok Pedersen
- Project Leader: Gabrielle Nadeau
- Project Manager: Jakob Sand
- Team: Birk Daugaard, Chris Falla, Alexandra Lukianova, Oscar Abrahamsson, Katerina Joannides, Aleksander Wadas, Marie Lançon, Danae Charatsi, Alexander Ejsing.
- Client: Ville de Montpellier
- Collaborators: A+ Architecture (Local Architect), Egis Bâtiment Méditerranée (Structural + MEP engineers), Base (Landscape Architect), L’Echo (Financial Consultant), Celsius Environnement (Sustainability Consultant), Cabinet Conseil Vincent Hedon (Acoustic Consultant)
Thursday, November 21st, 2013
Article source: Morpholio
This fall celebrates the exhibition opening of Crossing Borders: Manuscripts from the Bodleian Libraries at the Jewish museum in New York. On display are thousands of pages from Oxford’s Bodleian Libraries, posing a curatorial challenge as material access is weighed against space and experience.
Image Courtesy © Morpholio
- Architects: Morpholio
- Project: Museum Futures
- Location: New York, U.S.A
- Morpholio Co-Creators: Jeffrey Kenoff, Mark Collins, Toru Hasegawa, Anna Kenoff
- Collaborators: Fernando Portal, Community Director; Ciara Seymour, UX Director
- Sponsors: Dyson, Herman Miller, 3Form
Thursday, November 7th, 2013
Article source: CTRLZAK Art & Design Studio
iMUSEUM is an a new concept store located in the island of Mykonos which brings together historical replicas from various Greek archaeological museums. Milan based CTRLZAK studio is responsible for the entire design concept, which can be broken down to three main axes: stratification, excavation sites and museological representation.
Image Courtesy © Louisa Nikolaidou
- Architects: CTRLZAK Art & Design Studio
- Project: iMUSEUM
- Location: Mykonos, Greece
- Photography: Louisa Nikolaidou
- Interior, furniture & lighting design: CTRLZAK Art & Design Studio
- Graphic design and brand identity: Sereal Designers
- Construction and project supervision: A&M architects
- Consulting archaeologist: Sofia Bitsa
- Software used: Photoshop, Illustrator, Autocad & Rhino
Tuesday, November 5th, 2013
Article source: ITHAKA – Architecture and design
The project is created within the framework of the Official competition of the Yaroslavl International Architecture Biennale “Spartacus alive”.
The goal of the contest is the formation of a closed space for exhibitions, festivals, fairs and creation of a new pavilion type in the historic center of the city of Yaroslavl, on the site of the old ravine (protected landscape) according to the development program of the museum complex of the city.
Image Courtesy © ITHAKA – Architecture and design
- Architects: ITHAKA – Architecture and design
- Project: Multifunctional Museum Complex
- Location: Yaroslavl, Russia
- Area: 2,6 ha
- Project year: 2013
- Authors: Telemak ANANYAN , Gohar ISAKHANYAN Hayk MARTIROSYAN , Ani SAFARYAN , Anush KARAPETYAN
- Software Used: Autodesk AutoCAD, 3dsMax, Rhino and Grasshopper
Wednesday, October 30th, 2013
Article source: Benthem Crouwel Architects
The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum (German Mining Museum) lies in the heart of the Ruhr Area, in the city of Bochum. The museum is one of the most important mining museums and one of the most popular museums in Germany. The current museum draws around 400.000 visitors annually to its 12.000 square metres of exhibition space.
Image Courtesy © Guido Erbring
- Architects: Benthem Crouwel Architects
- Project: Deutsches Bergbau-Museum
- Location: Bochum, Germany
- Architect: Iris van Rijk
- Photography: Guido Erbring, Udo Kowalski
- Client: DMT Society for Training and Education, and German Mining Museum, Bochum
- Gross floor area:ca. 1800 m2
- Start design: 2006
- Start construction: 2008
- Completion: 2009
Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013
Article source: Bolidt
Kaap Skil, the Maritime and Beachcombers Museum in Oudeschild, on the coast of the Dutch island of Texel, was opened in 2012. The building, designed by Mecanoo Architects, was recently shortlisted for the 2012 World Architecture Festival Awards. Kaap Skil, which features a light-coloured Bolidt floor, has already won the 2012 Daylight Award as well as an Architzer A+ Award.
Image Courtesy © Bolidt
- Architects: Bolidt
- Project: Kaap Skil Museum
- Location: Oudeschild, Netherlands
Thursday, October 10th, 2013
Article source: MARK DZIEWULSKI ARCHITECT
This is the first international arts institution in the US devoted entirely to the performing arts and theatrical design. The site is in the heart of the museum district of San Francisco and our objective is to create an iconic piece of architecture that reflects the international focus of the institute and its stature as a world-class museum. Mikhail Baryshnikov agreed to collaborate with us as part of the design team. He has extensive technical knowledge and design skills relating to the design as well as the exhibit portrayals.
Image Courtesy © Mark Dziewulski Architect
- Architects: MARK DZIEWULSKI ARCHITECT
- Project: The Museum of Performance and Design
- Location: California, U.S.A
- Exhibition space, library and offices: 50,000 sq.ft. (4,650m2)
- Invited competition
- Finalist with Zaha Hadid, Diller and Scofidio and Steven Holl.
- Museum, library and offices.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013
Article source: Christian de Portzamparc
Fanny Rodwell wanted to create a museum intended for the work of her husband, Hergé, the Belgian creator of The Adventures of Tintin. Christian de Portzamparc designed it as strong architecture, space of surprises, events and colors. The route is an almost narrative sequence, prolonging the art of the « ligne claire » style and the color, in a space-tribute in the invention of Hergé and in the comic strip. Joost Swarte realized the museography inside rooms, which is not shown here.
Image Courtesy © Nicolas BOREL
- Architects: Christian de Portzamparc
- Project: Herge Museum
- Location: Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Photography: Nicolas BOREL, Christian de Portzamparc, Steve MUREZ
- PROGRAM: Cultural facilities accommodating a museum dedicated to Hergé, as well as permanent and temporary exhibitions areas, a video projection room, a cafeteria, shops, studios, storehouses and administrative premises.
- CLIENT: La Croix de l’Aigle SA, Fanny et Nick Rodwell, Studios Hergé
- Client representatives: INCA – Walter de Toffol
- MUSEOGRAPHY: Joost Swarte
- LANDSCAPE DESIGNER: Jacques Wirtz
- SURFACE: 3,600 sq.m.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013
Article source: Trahan Architects
The Louisiana State Museum and Sports Hall of Fame in historic Natchitoches, Louisiana merges two contrasting collections formerly housed in a university coliseum and a nineteenth century courthouse, elevating the visitor experience for both. Set in the oldest settlement in the Louisiana Purchase on the banks of the Cane River Lake, the design mediates the dialogue between sports and history, past and future, container and contained.
Image Courtesy © Tim Hursley
- Architects: Trahan Architects
- Project: State Museum and Sports Hall of Fame in Louisiana by Trahan Architects
- Location: Louisiana, U.S.A
- Photography: Tim Hursley, Method Design
- Client, Owner: State of Louisiana, Office of Facility, Planning & Control
- Key Personnel: Victor F. “Trey” Trahan, III FAIA – President, Design Principal, Brad McWhirter AIA – Project Architect, Ed Gaskin AIA – Designer, Mark Hash – Designer, Michael McCune AIA – Designer
- Project Team: Sean David, Blake Fisher, Erik Herrmann, David Merlin, Benjamin Rath, Judson Terry
- Interior Designer: Lauren Bombet Interiors
- Mechanica, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire Protection Engineer: Associated Design Group
- Structural Engineer: LBYD
- Civil Engineer: CSRS
- Geotechnical Engineer: GeoConsultants
- General Contractor: VCC
- Landscape Architect: Reed Hilderbrand Associates
Any other consultants, with their roles:
- BIM Manager and Technology: Case
- Cast Stone Support Steel Geometry and Detailing: Method Design
- Cast Stone Support Steel Engineer: David Kufferman PE
- Acoustics: SH Acoustics
- Waterproofing: Water Management Consultants & Testing, Inc.
- Size in Square Feet: 28,000sf
- Cost: $12,600,000
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013
Article source: COORDINATION ASIA
Unlike any other type of museum, a film museum connects to people’s personal lives and memories. Under the Art Direction of Tilman Thürmer, COORDINATION ASIA created a museum experience for the new Shanghai Film Museum that is driven by interaction and dialogue, and that allows visitors to be an active participant in the story of Shanghai Film.
Image Courtesy © Tilman Thürmer / COORDINATION ASIA Ltd.
- Architects: COORDINATION ASIA
- Project: Shanghai’s first Film Museum
- Location: Xujiahui, China
- Photography: Tilman Thürmer / COORDINATION ASIA Ltd.
- Art Director and Lead Designer: Tilman Thürmer / COORDINATION ASIA Ltd.