Archive for the ‘Restoration’ Category
Saturday, October 12th, 2013
Article source: Martin Lejarraga Architect
The city of Cartagena is full of scars that have marked its layers at varying depths (“the puff pastry city”, Carlos García Vázquez) throughout the city’s history.
And it is among these layers and between party walls where one must attempt to preserve the life of the city, through interventions involving the renovation, revitalization and regeneration of the residential urban weave, of the dwelling, which, in sum, is the use that maintains and accelerates the pace of the city.
Image Courtesy © David Frutos
- Architects: Martin Lejarraga Architect
- Project: Renovation of Casa Dorda
- Location: Murcia, Spain
- Photography: David Frutos
- CLIENT: Sociedad cooperativa limitada de viviedas ‘casa dorda’
- PROJECT TEAM-collaborators- Office: Ana Martínez (architect) Julián Lloret
- On site: Antonio Pérez (technical architecture)
- General consultor: ACE Edificación (Mariano Alegría, José Ibeas,Pedro Ruiz)
- GENERAL CONSTRUCTOR: Gestomur 2000 S.L, Jose Garcia Madrid
- BUILT-UP AREA: 8.316 m2
- START OF PLANNING: 2006
- COMPLETION: 2009
- BUILDING COSTS: 3.711.016 €
Friday, August 23rd, 2013
Article source: Govaert & Vanhoutte architectuurburo
Underneath a rampant of a fortified wall, lie the remnants of the once large complex of fortifications of Ypres, called “Kazematten”.
Built in 1680 by a mythical French Marshal as part of a large fortification project of Ypres, the “Kazematten” are known for their rich history. Following the independence of Belgium the fortification complex was mostly demolished to allow de city to expand.The “Kazematten” were spared this fate due to lack of funds.
Image Courtesy © Govaert & Vanhoutte architectuurburo
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012
Article source: Josep Lluís Mateo
The retaining wall to the rear that anchors the house to the hillside was extremely lovely. As well as expressing the effort of retaining the earth, it concentrated in one place the oven and the point of collection of the water that filters through it.
- Architects: Josep Lluís Mateo
- Project: Vilar – Reconstruction of an old country mansion
- Location: La Garrotxa, Girona
- Press Contact: Soraya Barbero
Thursday, June 14th, 2012
Article source: Lensass Architects
The medieval character of the former inn from 1650 – presently a store –, as well as its original timber framing on the back side, has been fully restored. This very particular building technique, which continued to be used in Limburg for a long time, uses the recycled wood of torn-down buildings. Inscriptions, as well as old mortise and tenon connections testify of the re-use.
- Architects: Lensass Architects
- Project: Sint-Martinus
- Location: Sint-Truiden, Belgium
- Software used: Bentley Microstation and the Adobe CS
Sunday, February 5th, 2012
Article source: EMBAIXADA arquitectura
Since the last decade of the xx century, it has been usual, especially in the old Europe, the commission of projects demanding the conservation, renovation and conversion of constructions from a recent and distant past and from the most diverse typologies, and cultural matrices – This Interior architecture often becomes a field of experimentation for architectural ideas and one of the most challenging themes of the contemporary city. Not only because of urban conditions but also because of historical, social and political demands.
Image Courtesy DMF
- Architects: EMBAIXADA arquitectura
- Project: Casa dos Cubos
- Location: Tomar, Emio, Portugal
- Team: Albuquerque Goinhas, Augusto Marcelino, Cristina Mendonça, Luis Baptista, Nuno Griff, Pedro Patrício, Sofia Antunes
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING: Pedro Fragoso Viegas (Civil Engineer)
- SEWAGE AND WATER ENGINEERING: Rui F. Mendonça (Civil Engineer)
- ELECTRICAL AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERING: Augusto Luis Marcelino (Electrical Engineer)
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING: Luís Andrade (Mechanical Engineer) HEATING AND ACOUSTICAL STUDY Nuno F. Oliveira, Miguel P. Freire (Civil Engineers)
- FIRE CONSULTING: Ana Salomé (Civil Engineer)
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011
Article source: GruppoFonArchitetti
Venice is an organic city, where the sea water goes in for six hours and goes out for six hours from the lagoon, which surrounds the city.. The saltwater is mixed with fresh water of the lagoon, creating a unique ecosystem, where, perhaps, against nature, man has built. In these green water, due to the life of the seabeds, everything is reflected, starting from the sky which provides colour variations throughout the day, seasons and weather conditions.
Image Courtesy Daniele Domenicali
- Architects: GruppoFonArchitetti
- Project: Colors on Water
- Location: Venice, old town centre, Italy
- Customer: EstCapital Group
- Project manager: GruppoFonArchitetti
- Structure project: Venice Plan Engineering
- Software used: ArchiCAD (to design the project) and Photoshop (to put the pieces together)
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011
Article source: Turenscape
A Mother Recovered – The Sanlihe Greenway, China, designed by Turenscape, has won the ‘World’s Best Landscape Project’ award at the prestigious World Architecture Festival (WAF) Awards 2011. The presentation of the WAF Awards are taking place during the largest global celebration of architecture – the World Architecture Festival, which is being held at the Centre Convencions International Barcelona (CCIB) this week.
A Mother River Recovered
- Architects: Turenscape
- Project: A Mother River Recovered
- Location: The Sanlihe Greenway, Qian’an City, China
Saturday, June 11th, 2011
Article source: RRA Architects
Hillcott barn an old Herefordshire threshing stone barn located in the village of Hope Mansel near the Forest of Dean featured on Channel Four’s Grand Designs series in April 2006.
- Architects: RRA Architects
- Project: Hillcott Barn
- Location: Cheltenham, London
- Client: Mr and Mrs Ellis
- Project value: £425k
- Completed: 2006
Tuesday, May 31st, 2011
Article source: Taller 301
After presenting the project before the jury members in Kyiv/Ukraine, TALLER 301 was awarded First Prize in the International Architecture Competition URBAN LANDSCAPING IN KYIV FOR EURO-2012. The project entitled Reclaiming the Shore consists of 413 hectares between the Dnieper River and the City Center, and envisions a series of interventions to be developed for the upcoming UEFA European Football Championship 2012 hosted in Kyiv, as well as a long term vision for the city.
- Architects: Taller 301 Architect
- Projects: Urban Reclaiming the Shore
- Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
- Software used: Blender 3D and GIMP for renderings
Saturday, April 16th, 2011
Accommodation of 34 m2 and 4.5 m in height, divided by a load bearing wall in two rooms of similar size, located in El Born in Barcelona.
Renovation of a House
- Architects: Architecture-G
- Project: Renovation of a House
- Location: Barcelona (Spain)
- Architect Team: Jonathan Arnabat, Jordi Ayala Bril, Aitor Fuentes, Igor Urdampilleta
- Contributor: David Fernandez Taboada