Article source: West 8
The ambitious plan by Madrid’s mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón to submerge a section of the M30 ring motorway immediately adjacent to the old city centre within a tunnel was realised within a single term of office. The city undertook infrastructure measures over a total length of 43 kilometres, six of them along the banks of the River Manzanares, at a total cost of six billion Euro. West 8 together with a group of renowned architects from Madrid, united under the name MRIO arquitectos led by Ginés Garrido Colomero designed the master plan for Madrid RIO.
River Garden and Toledo Bridge - ©Jeroen Musch
- Architects: West 8
- Project: Madrid Rio
- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Client: Madrid City Government
- Design & realization: 2006–2011
- Size: 120 ha.
- Construction value: 410 mio euro
- Design team: Burgos & Garrido Arquitectos, Porras La Casta Arquitectos, Rubio Álvarez-Sala Arquitectos, West 8 urban design & landscape architecture
- Project management: Ginés Garrido Colomero