Article source: Ryumei Fujiki
Big Furniture Like a Cave. My idea is to hollow out the volume inside a container in order to build amorphous space like a cave. This “Artificial Topography” is made of only plastic material as same as my famous work “Aqua-scape”. About 1000 sheets of the soft plastic material of 10-mm thickness were cut down in contour line form, and were laminated like a stratum. This is not only art work but also one big furniture. Because all the portions are soft like a sofa, and person who enter into this space can relax by finding the place suitable for the form of its own body.
Image Courtesy Ryumei Fujiki
- Architects: Ryumei Fujiki
- Project: Artificial Topography
- Location: Kobe city, Japan
- Client: Kobe Biennial Committee
- Design team: Fujiki Studio, KOU::ARC, Kensuke Kawamura, Yoshiki Tachi, Shun Simoya, Kohaku Furihata, Yuki Sakurada, Toshihiko Hatori, Yoshito Fukaya, Yuji Uemura, Yuki Ishigami
- Collaborators: Yukiko Sato (F.A.D.S)
- Material: Polyolefin firing resin board
- Completion Date: 29th Sep. 2011
- Photographer: Masahiro Hoshida, Ryumei Fujiki
- Software used: RHINOCEROS which was the 3D modeling software. The project is based on Digital Fabrication.