Archive for the ‘Pavilion’ Category
Tuesday, May 26th, 2015
Article source: JOAO QUINTELA . TIM SIMON
Located in Lisbon, the VERTIGO Pavilion was born in particularly complex context due to the physical reality where it belongs, the different functional needs, but specially due to the Portuguese economical situation. This is an area that intends to host a small cafe but also a reception to a sports center as well as a small shop to sell equipment and an informal lounge area. Perhaps a possible answer to such different specific needs is to not consider them in a strict and literal sense. When form follows the structure, the action can simply appear and the real use becomes unpredictable.
Image Courtesy © DIANA QUINTELA
- Architects: JOAO QUINTELA . TIM SIMON
- Project: Vertigo Pavilion
- Location: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Photography: DIANA QUINTELA
- CLIENT: VERTIGO CLIMBING CENTER: TIAGO MARTINS, NUNO BATISTA
- STRUCTURE: DANIEL MAIO, URBAN 360
- COORDINATOR: PEDRO ALVES
- CONSTRUCTION: ANTÓNIO AUGUSTO, JAIME, JOSÉ FIGUEIREDO, PEDRO ALVES, TIAGO MARTINS, NUNO BATISTA, MARTA JERÓNIMO, JOÃO QUINTELA, TIM SIMON
- VOLUNTEERS DURING CONSTRUCTION: PEDRO QUINTEIRO, SARAH MONTE ALTO, HÉLIO MORAIS, LEONOR OLIVEIRA, JERÔNIMO SÔRO, VERA MARMELO, HUGO CASTRO SILVA, MARTIM VIDIGAL, DUARTE MEDEIROS
Sunday, May 24th, 2015
Article source: VenhoevenCS architecture+urbanism
Sports and recreation centre Nekkerpool (serving the province of Antwerp in Belgium) offers a range of indoor and outdoor activities, and the addition of a swimming pool to the programme will make the package even more complete. The architects challenge was to seize the opportunity to give the Nekker recreation centre as a whole a facelift, in addition to designing a modern and sustainable swimming pool. The site revolves around the new entrance area, where a pedestrian bridge makes the connection between the existing and new complex.
Image Courtesy © Filip Dujardin
- Architects: VenhoevenCS architecture+urbanism
- Project: Nekkerpool
- Location: Nekkerspoel-Borcht, Mechelen, Belgium
- Photography: Filip Dujardin
- Program: New construction of swimming pool complex to be added to existing sports complex with competition pool, instruction pool, special needs pool, gallery, dining facilities, playground and free-standing entrance pavilion. Complete renovation of existing dining (including some new construction) and kitchen areas. New construction of outdoor space including recreational water elements.
- Assignment: Construction management, PD, FD, specifications, working drawings, aesthetic management, main contracting, after-sales
- Client: Province of Antwerp, Infrastructure Department
- Team: Ton Venhoeven, Manfred Wansink, Maarten Bax, Jos-Willem van Oorschot, Gabriel Boutsema, Wouter de Haas, Niels Boswinkel, Eelco Bergman, Roland Herpel (more…)
Thursday, May 21st, 2015
Article source: Ball-Nogues Studio
Pulp Pavilion represents the culmination of five years of experiments with material composites using reclaimed paper. The result was a gathering space` that was a respite from the sun and frenetic energy of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in the California desert. It was an ideal place to view performances on two stages.
Image Courtesy © Ball-Nogues Studio
- Architects: Ball-Nogues Studio
- Project: Pulp Pavilion
- Location: Indio, California, US
- Lead Artists and Principals in Charge: Benjamin Ball, Gaston Nogues
- Project Manager: Rafael Sampaio Rocha
- Ball-Nogues Project Team: Ricardo Garcia, John Guinn, Fernando Marroquin, Rafael Sampaio Rocha, Forster Rudolph, Corie Saxman, Nicole Semenova, Ethan Schwartz
- Additional Ball-Nogues Support: Andrew Fastman, Michael Anthony Fontana, Cory Hill, James Jones, Mora Nabi, Jacob Patapoff, Allison Porterfield
- Engineering Consultant: Nous Engineering, Omar Garza
Tuesday, May 19th, 2015
Article source: Squint/Opera
Squint/Opera recently completed a collaboration with artist Wolfgang Buttress to create a series of digital installations and integrated graphic applications for the UK pavilion at the Milan Expo 2015, Italy, which opened 1 May. The behaviour and living environment of bees, and the important role they play as part of the global ecosystem, are at the heart of this spectacular pavilion.
Image Courtesy © Squint/Opera
- Architects: Squint/Opera
- Project: UK Pavilion in Milan
- Location: Milan, Italy
Thursday, May 14th, 2015
Article source: SoNo Arhitekti
SoNo architects unites a new young generation of Slovenian architects to create a modern, high-quality architecture that is emerging as a mix of architectural theory, study and research of the sites’ locations, innovation and testing of new materials and construction methods.
Image Courtesy © SoNo Arhitekti
- Architects: SoNo Arhitekti
- Project: SLOVENIAN PAVILION
- Location: EXPO 2015 Milan, Italy
- Authors: Edvard Blažko architect, Marko Volk architect, Nina Tešanović architect, Nejc Batistič architect, Samo Radinja architect, Matija Kocbek art director, Tomaž Bavdež landscape designer
- Civil engineer: CBD
- Mechanical engineer: Biro ES
- Building Area: 800 sqm
- Lot Area: 1910 sqm
- Year of the project: 2014
Tuesday, May 12th, 2015
Article source: Wolfgang Buttress
Bringing together 147 countries and an anticipated 20 million visitors, the Milan Expo is taking place between May and October 2015 with a focus on the urgent challenge of how to feed the world as the global population is projected to increase to nine billion in 2050.
Under the themeGrown in Britain, the UK will be a part of it with animmersivePavilion designed by Wolfgang Buttress and built by Stage One.
Image Courtesy © Hufton+Crow
- Architects: Wolfgang Buttress
- Project: UK Pavilion Milan Expo 2015
- Location: UK
- Photography: Hufton+Crow
Saturday, May 9th, 2015
Article source: Annabel Karim Kassar (Annaka Fzco)
Al Zorah pavilion in Ajman is a landmark, it is the first project to be implemented on site, as part of the city’s redevelopment. The structure is a 4 500 Msq multifunctional center dedicated to Administration, Culture and Entertainment overlooking the mangrove of Ajman.
Image Courtesy © Tony Elieh
- Architects: Annabel Karim Kassar (ANNAKA fzco)
- Project: Al Zorah Pavilion
- Location: Ajman, UAE
- Photography: Tony Elieh
- Project architect: Rabih Zeidan
- Collaborators: Walid Hamze, Nehmat Alameh, Violaine Jeantet, Jean Sfeir
- Area: 4,500 m2
- Footprint: 45x45m
- Height from mangrove side: 14m
- Completion: Early 2014
Saturday, May 9th, 2015
Article source: ANNAKA fzco
Annabel Karim Kassar Architects shows an architectural installation Camera Chiara with two pavilions; Liwan and Camera Obscura.
Conceived to be reused and reassembled in a different location after its launch in Milan: the Liwan as a mobile shelter and the Camera Obscura as an itinerant cinema.
Image Courtesy © ANNAKA fzco
- Architects: ANNAKA fzco
- Project: Camera Chiara
- Location: Milan, Italy
- Year: 2015
- Area: around 50 sqm each
- Annabel Karim Kassar Architects and Interiors
- Annabel Karim Kassar architect, creative director
- Rabih Zeidan architect, project manager
- Violaine Jeantet interior architect
- Christophe Hascoet lighting designer
- Caï light lighting designer
- Alain Pin lighting designer
- Produced by HSC
- Contributors: Amar Foundation, Kamal Kassar; Caï light; Golran 1898; Imola Legno S.p.A.; Francoise Subes; Sylumis
Thursday, May 7th, 2015
Article source: Estudio Carme Pinós
The project consists of a small summerhouse with spectacular views located near an equestrian club.
We wanted the summerhouse to open to the views and its surroundings, while at the same time providing it with an image of solidity, in harmony with the stone walls which can be found in the area.
Image Courtesy © Jordi Bernadó
Wednesday, May 6th, 2015
Article source: Foster + Partners
The United Arab Emirates pavilion at the 2015 Milan Expo opened today. Bringing the planning principles of the traditional desert city to Milan, the pavilion’s interior of self-shaded streets evokes the experience of the UAE’s ancient communities, while demonstrating the natural energy efficiency of their compact urban form.
Image Courtesy © Foster + Partners
- Architects: Foster + Partners
- Project: United Arab Emirates pavilion at the 2015 Milan Expo
- Location: Milan, Italy
- Photography: Filippo Poli